Hi everyone,

I am starting my first job out of school in June. Seeing as though I graduated in December I am a bit worried over this large gap I will have from school and work. Further, I do not feel as though my IM rotation gave me an accurate taste of what work in IM will consist of.

Can some of you guys suggest good reading for me to do over these next 2.5 months to best prepare me? Preferably books or video sources that go through the "bread and butter" of IM.

Thanks a lot! Any other tips at all would be helpful

Review management of: DM, HTN, COPD, CHF. DVT/PE, CKD, PNA, lyte imbalances and corrections, post op fever sources, sepsis, anemia, and blood transfusion criteria.  I worked as a hospitalist for 1.5 years after feeling pretty comfortable with medicine already after working ER for years.  I used UpToDate for pretty much everything.  

• Upvote 2

- Read 'Step-up to Medicine.'  The 4th edition just came out but get the 3rd edition if you're on a budget.  99% of it will be the same and you can get it much cheaper on Amazon/half.com.

- Read the IM Resident Readiness book if you find a case-based approach helpful 

- Buy 'Medicine' by Paul Chan, which is an excellent reference to have around for admissions.  It gives you lots of information on what to order based on a diagnosis.  

- Buy an uptodate subscription if there isn't an institutional one.  This will be your go-to for everything and also gives CME.

- Get the upgraded version of Epocrates.  It is well worth the $150 or whatever it is.

- Subscribe to EMRAP if you like listening to podcasts.  It's an ER podcast but there is a lot of crossover.  You won't care about the discussions on peds fractures but you will get a lot out of discussions on sepsis, VTE, etc.

- Marino's 'The ICU Book' is helpful as a reference(or just to read) if you will be doing anything in the ICU

For topics to study, go to the NCCPA website and look at the hospital medicine CAQ topics list.

• Upvote 1

I've been a hospitalist for almost 3 years now and agree with these. Start by reviewing your bread and butter medicine. A lot of it will come with time and experience. Find a good attending or an experienced PA to mentor you and teach you. Remember you can't learn it all in a day and do your best to read up on cases as you come across them. Treat yourself like a new resident and read read read. Things I see daily which come to mind are pneumonia, copd exacerbations, acute chf, hyponatremia (you will see this a ton), DM, Dka, PE/DVT, lyte imbalances, sepsis, anemia, gi bleeds, cellulitis, AKI, CKD, CAD, afib, accelerated hypertension, and stroke to just name a few :) You will learn something new every day. Good luck! You picked a growing and very interesting career as a hospitalist. Welcome aboard!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Duh me! I can't believe I left CAD and afib off the list.  Which reminded me also I had a lot of r/o MI and r/o CVA admits.  So knowing about CVA workups (MRI's/lipids/statins/asa, etc) and knowing about stress tests is important.  Also GI and DVT prophylaxis protocols. 

If you can get the MKSAP audio files (there are some torrents online- not how I got mine though) I find them helpful to listen to when I'm driving or cleaning around the house (so long as my attention span can take it). MKSAP 17 is the most current but you'll probably only find MKSAP 16, which is what I listen to. You could also check amazon/ebay for the CDs. It's audio of a physician that works in the area being discussed and another physician who kind of leads the conversations. So it's not just one person blabbing on and on, which makes it pretty easy to listen to.

• Upvote 1

If you can get the MKSAP audio files (there are some torrents online- not how I got mine though) I find them helpful to listen to when I'm driving or cleaning around the house (so long as my attention span can take it). MKSAP 17 is the most current but you'll probably only find MKSAP 16, which is what I listen to. You could also check amazon/ebay for the CDs. It's audio of a physician that works in the area being discussed and another physician who kind of leads the conversations. So it's not just one person blabbing on and on, which makes it pretty easy to listen to.

Interesting. I actually just got my hands on the mksap 17 books, an attending told me it's full of the most relevant and applicable clinical info. I have gone thru a cardio section though it is quite heavy and dense to read. I'm going to try to push through more of the texts though . Do you have any thoughts on the books?

Thank you for your response!

I've got the older MKSAP books but they're outdated so I don't really use them much. I did look at some of the questions and they were decent clinical scenario type questions. If you could get the books cheap then I'd say go for it. But I really mostly like the MKSAP audio because I have a decent drive so it fills that time.