Rural Family medicine offer for new grad

Recently I have been offered a rural family medicine position at a small critical access hospital working in their primary care clinic. I would start at $110K a year with 4 weeks vacation and a $3000 CME allowance. No extra time off for CME. Their is little to no training at the site and while the clinic has other providers, my supervising physician will only be on site a couple days a month. The position is 4.5 days of clinic and 0.5 administrative. I would be expected to see between 10-15 pt a day in clinic after a couple months. The work load seems not that high and pay is good, but not sure about the autonomy part.

yea lack of SP oversight is a bit suspicious

they are basically running a PA factory there

basically have mid levels running clinic generating about 2 MDs worth of volume/ visit $ and paying the PAs a fraction. granted they are only getting 85% they are still making out with PAs running the site

the 4 weeks sounds good on paper but how much coverage will you have in a rural location if you want to actually enjoy 4 weeks in europe

Obviously the compensation is good and everything else sounds fine.

But not having a mentor on site sounds like you aren't being setup for success as a new grad PA.  Not sure your medical background, but nonetheless, you have never worked as a provider before and there is so much to know, that I don't feel you'd be doing yourself or your patients right by not having good mentorship early on.  just my opinion.  A few years into your career, that's another story...

Everyone else already said it, but having a mentor available is huge.

With that said, it looks like a good offer and if I didn't have a better option available I'd probably take it.  Just understand that you aren't going to be efficient at first so you may end up working a few extra hours keeping your numbers up as you start out.

• 2 months later...

Recently I have been offered a rural family medicine position at a small critical access hospital working in their primary care clinic. I would start at $110K a year with 4 weeks vacation and a $3000 CME allowance. No extra time off for CME. Their is little to no training at the site and while the clinic has other providers, my supervising physician will only be on site a couple days a month. The position is 4.5 days of clinic and 0.5 administrative. I would be expected to see between 10-15 pt a day in clinic after a couple months. The work load seems not that high and pay is good, but not sure about the autonomy part.

I was wondering if you decided to take this opportunity? I find myself in a similar predicament right now. I been offered a position at a rural clinic, we spoke about 120,000. The rural clinic is owned by a physician assistant. Though, I felt so comfortable working there with patients and staff, I am hesitant to take such a task as a new Graduate since the supervising physician only goes, also a couple of days a month to review charts. 

• 1 year later...

Update: I did not take the above job due to the autonomy issue. I ended up finding another similar critical access hospital in a slightly less remote community where we are expected to see 30-40 patients a week. 100% outpatient job. The pay was only $95K but I work with my supervising doc 2 days a week and 2 days a week with another mid-level. The hospital also gives us 7 weeks PTO which makes up for the lower salary. We can moonlight in the ED for extra pay where the average volume is 25pts a day and double coverage of mid-level and ED doc. I'd love to have a little higher pay and somewhat warmer weather community but finding a job with my patient volumes elsewhere in primary care is not easy.

13 hours ago, pacificcoast7 said:

Update: I did not take the above job due to the autonomy issue. I ended up finding another similar critical access hospital in a slightly less remote community where we are expected to see 30-40 patients a week. 100% outpatient job. The pay was only $95K but I work with my supervising doc 2 days a week and 2 days a week with another mid-level. The hospital also gives us 7 weeks PTO which makes up for the lower salary. We can moonlight in the ED for extra pay where the average volume is 25pts a day and double coverage of mid-level and ED doc. I'd love to have a little higher pay and somewhat warmer weather community but finding a job with my patient volumes elsewhere in primary care is not easy.

To me that is a stellar offer! You are very lucky, but again I do not know the COL where you are so if you are in Southern Cali then that $$ is not good..Congrats! 

P.S. Please stop referring to "us" as mid-levels, advanced providers, practitioners, etc is a much more accurate term.

I work in rural FM and the nearest Walmart is 65 miles away and I hardly ever see a stop light unless I go into a major city that is several hours away. The town I work in has 607 people and the pay is not as good (starting out) as your offer is. Consider yourself lucky and congrats! I wish my first job offers were like yours (fyi my first 2 job offers a few years ago were $55K and $66K)...

Archived