Charlotte, NC

Reaching out to all PAs who work in the Charlotte and surrounding areas (monroe, concord, huntersville)!!!!

How is the job market in that part of the state??

My research is showing me that the whole area is mainly CMC, Novant, & Orthocarolina......Any small private practices in that part of the state?

Probably going to end up moving to that area in a few months when school is over.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks! 

I live north of Charlotte, close to Huntersville.  Overall I think a great place to practice and live.  I-77 is a nightmare right now so commuting is sketchy depending where you live/work.  This area has grown so fast the roads just are not adequate. 

Yes, big groups are CMC, Novant, Orthocarolina.  There are smaller groups though for specialties.  There are four different GI groups and a few neuro/neurosurgery groups, so you are not limited to one of the bigger systems.  Overall it seems like the bigger groups salaries are a bit lower and there is less likelihood that you can negotiate because they already have so many NPs/PAs.  I have looked at specific groups websites for positions, also look at MAPA membership, they send out job notices.  A large ENT group is also advertising a position right now if you are interested in a specialty.  If I was not set on staying where I am for the next two years I would have applied for that one.  Big group and I have heard very good things about the docs and the PAs have been there for a very long time. 

Low cost of living and really very beautiful area, only downside of the Lake norman area is the traiffic.  Not sure when that is going to get better, probably not!

Message me if you have any specific questions about a practice, I can tell you a few to stay away from.  I really don't know much about a lot of them unless I have interacted with them in some way. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am in urology. My wife did sports medicine and now primary care. By the looks of the openings, we'll both be interviewing for primary care and urgent care.. Not much else for openings there outside of cards and ortho (double gross)

Cool. Best of luck with everything. 

I am still undecided on what I want to work in. I am up in the air between many things.....FM, Urgent, ER, Ortho, or general surgery.  I still have all of those rotations in the next few months but really do not want to jump into a specialty as a new grad.  I have chosen my location, so I only get to choose one more thing between salary and specialty. Best of luck to you guys and the move. Would love to hear what you end up finding/accepting. I am gonna hold off another 2 months before I start applying as I will not be in the area until Jan. 

Cool. Best of luck with everything.

I am still undecided on what I want to work in. I am up in the air between many things.....FM, Urgent, ER, Ortho, or general surgery. I still have all of those rotations in the next few months but really do not want to jump into a specialty as a new grad. I have chosen my location, so I only get to choose one more thing between salary and specialty. Best of luck to you guys and the move. Would love to hear what you end up finding/accepting. I am gonna hold off another 2 months before I start applying as I will not be in the area until Jan.

Thank you. I wouldn't disagree.. The "primary" specialties give a good foundation.. Certain specialties, like inpatient urology, wasn't bad either :). See what your next few rotations bring you. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Carolinas health told my wife and i to go to hell for urgent care. Novant was interest. I'm on favor of saying I'm highly irritated by both parties for different reasons regardless

What happened with novant? I am starting to realize that I may have to drive pretty far out of the city for my first job. I recently attended the CHS Advanced Practitioners residency open house at which point I was told "CHS has 160 jobs for PAs, none of which are accepting new graduates". I am surprised with you and your wifes experience you were still denied......

actually had a patient ask me about this today in clinic....I was clueless, but my preceptor knew all about it and here is what I was told..... Apparently it is a company that is doing 3 step knee injections (under ultrasound) with hyaluronic gels but somewhere in the process they draw blood, spin it down, and inject the PRP into the joint. Dont know much about the company other than the fact that they are making a killing.  

actually had a patient ask me about this today in clinic....I was clueless, but my preceptor knew all about it and here is what I was told..... Apparently it is a company that is doing 3 step knee injections (under ultrasound) with hyaluronic gels but somewhere in the process they draw blood, spin it down, and inject the PRP into the joint. Dont know much about the company other than the fact that they are making a killing.

Hey. Thanks

Yeah we're both familiar with prp. I think they do that after tooth pulls to prevent empty socket..works ok. For joints? I believe the current research says it's bs.

Interesting to hear that there's some chatter about the practice

Archived