What are people's thoughts on reapplying with my stats

Undergrad Ed School: Texas A&M University with BS in Health

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.5

Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.31

Age at application time : 23

1st GRE: 297 (verbal 148 quant 149)

Direct Patient Care : (type & hours)

medical scribe at a hospital ~1000 hours and patient coordinator at clinic ~2000

I applied to 4 schools last time and didn't get an interview to a single one. I didn't do great on my GRE either and I know my GPAs aren't astonishing but I really want to get in this time.

Your GPA is decent and although your GRE is a little on the lower side, it is well balanced so there is no need to take the GRE again (unless you apply to the top schools or the ones that require minimum 300).

I think the problem is your HCE. Most schools may NOT consider scribe or patient care coordinator as direct patient care experience because you are not performing procedures on the patient like drawing blood, taking vitals, etc. (i.e. not touching the patient). It will probably go under other HCE on CASPA. You must contact specific PA programs to see if these hours qualify for direct patient care hours. Some schools may accept them, but most of them will not, so apply to the ones that do accept them. Apply early and more broadly (4 is not enough IMO with the level of competition. With those stats 8-9 is much safer).

Plus, have you shadowed a PA? Most schools will want you to have those hours as well. If you have not done that, you should find a couple of PAs and shadow them for a few days. How is your personal statement? PA schools get hundreds and thousands of applications with similar stats as you. It all comes down to your PA narrative from this point. If you write a great one, you get an interview. Good Luck on your application and I hope you get in this cycle.

Are these the exact stats you applied with last year?  If yes, don't count on applying to the same school with new results.  Typically applicants who apply a second or third year find success when they can articulate how they have improved their application more than just 'I've gotten more HCE hours'.

I agree that HCE is probably your problem, but more so the low hours.  Scribe is accepted at a lot of schools you just have to check their websites and check and apply to the right schools.  I highly recommend you apply to MORE schools this round if you attempt, or whenever you do attempt.  The average is like 8 schools, I think?  And your stats aren't groundbreaking enough to think that you're a shoe-in so apply broadly, apply early, and find schools that accept scribes.

It's also possible that the quality of your application could be improved.  Get multiple friends who are strong writers, or who have been accepted to PA programs, to look at your application essay.  Cliches and weak writing can cause admissions committees to overlook some of your strengths.

Depending on your science course load, consider taking additional science coursework.  If you merely MET the requirements last time, work on exceeding them this time.

Archived