Cold emailing and resume submitting

I am curious about advice and personal experiences regarding searching for a position that may or may not exist. Is it appropriate and worthwhile to contact departments or offices to inquire about potential openings even if they are not outwardly advertising any? Specifically, I am trying to find an OBGYN position (for a new grad with 4 months remaining until graduation) in a particular city in the northeast, but I do not see any positions advertised on the popular job sites.

Advice or experiences about this particular situation are greatly appreciated!

Knowing which specialty you want and where simplifies a job search. And there is nothing wrong with cold mailing, though the results are generally slim. Networking is usually better.

Perhaps you can find a PA who works in that city in that specialty (through the state PA association), make contact and take them out for a drink or something. You would probably learn more about the local market that way and have a more targeted approach to job seeking.

I appreciate the feedback. I will look into the State PA association. I am job searching for the Albany, NY area, and am currently located along the Gulf Coast, so unfortunately I am unable to network in person to learn about leads and the local job market. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Nothing wrong with cold calling. I can't remember the numbers but there are more unadvertised positions than advertised. Usually a short call to an office manager will get you the information you need and you can send a resume to anyone who has an interest.

Agreed.

When I was in the military, I worked with a PA whose contract was ending. She looked online, but she also literally went door to door with her business card and resume. She ended up actually landing a job this way (she also got a part-time job through contacts that we had working at that base).

I believe she was 5 or 6 years out of school, but cold calling definitely could work.

Join APAOG as well; it's a great resource and might be helpful to have this association on your resume if you want to work in women's health.  Perhaps they have a member in the Albany area with whom you can connect.  They also offer a free webinar series to members for CME.

Best of luck.

I got several positions from cold-calling/emailing and/or just showing up in person.  My first EM job was cold-emailing my resume to the hospital CEO, and I have received 2 more contracts from other hospitals doing the same thing.  I got a part time job in an urgent care by just walking in and asking for the office manager.  They had never hired PAs before, but I convinced her at our first impromptu meeting.  

And I'm about to do it again at another hospital, this time one where I saw an advertisement that they are hiring.  I will call and email this week asking if they need a locums ED provider.

Archived