New Grad Derm PA job offer

Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and have seen that there is a lot of experience on here. I will be graduating in August and have a job offer in derm. I worked there before as a medical assistant and so negotiations feel a little more touchy if that makes sense. Here are the details:

-$70,000 for first year

-Full benefits for me, my wife and dependents

-3 wks PTO

-1 wk CME with $2,000 allowance

-malpractice covered

-society/membership fees covered (to a point)

-noncompete for 2 years in 8 mile radius

-second year will get a raise and will be base salary plus production bonus (no specifics on how much raise or bonus structure)

What do you guys think? I don't want to be greedy but I think 70,000 is still on the low side even for a training year in derm. I really like the office and don't want to overstep by asking for a sign-on bonus or maybe to consider a raise once I start seeing patients. I am in Utah by the way.

Any advice or feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply rev! There is my dilemma. Salary is on the low side from what I have read but the benefits are good and with benefits included I would be closer to 95K all together. Obviously as a new grad I don't want to sound greedy or self important but I also know I will bring a great deal of income for them in the first few years and even more once I am proficient. I will be 'in training' for 4-6 months without seeing patients and then will be given as many as I feel comfortable taking after that. 

Is a signing bonus normal or would that just be crazy to ask for?

I agree that the benefits are nice, but 70k without any bonus for one year is low ball offer in my opinion (~36/hr). If you really like the place and the doc is willing to teach, it may be worth it, but I would still try to negotiate a little (something along the lines of may be 75k + 1.5k sign on bonus). Plus, if I were you I would get specifics on bonus structure to see if that is really attainable.

Thanks for all the feedback! 

I really like the office and all the providers. The doc is a very good teacher and will be teaching me personally and hands on for the first 4-6 months to ensure I am comfortable with all of the procedures and charting I will be doing. They want me to be able to do excisions on everything except melanomas (in situ I will still excise), perform all the cosmetic procedures the office offers except sclerotherapy (lasers, botox, fillers, etc), and all the normal derm stuff too. This is pretty attractive to me. I want to be able to do a lot on my own. I feel this doc will spend a lot of time teaching me how to do all of it and how to do it well. 

I am not sure what the other PA makes in the office but from what I remember, he chose to take a slightly higher base salary rather than salary plus bonus because he doesn't want to do any of the cosmetic procedures or excisions. I am in the process of getting clarification on the bonus structure. I will let you guys know what I am told.

Thanks again for the responses.

Archived