Did anyone study before starting PA school?

I didn't study. I've survived so far (2 mo til rotations).

I've kinda changed my answer over the last year. To begin with, I wish I would've studied more anatomy. But the thing is, nothing can really prepare you for the didactic year. Brush up on anatomy or phys if you wish but in the end (in my opinion) it doesn't really matter. Just mentally prepare. The didactic year is brutal, but it's been done many times before and you can do it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrator

Short answer: Unless you're already prepared to study for 60-80+ hours per week, every week, nonstop for 12 months, you ought to up your study stamina before school.  Doesn't really matter WHAT you study, but you likely need a study skills and stamina tune-up.  Showing up on day 1 without having cracked a book for months is not a good idea, but nor is fretting too much about exactly WHAT you need to study. A&P is always a good bet, because it's universal, but the most important thing to prep yourself for time sitting in class, death by powerpoint for six to eight hours per day, and then leave class and do 4-6 hours more!

My thoughts on it is this:

You don't need to study. You will be doing a ton of it over the next year. With that said, I think if you were to brush up on basic anatomy/phys things now (major bones, muscles, cranial nerves, kreb cycle, etc), it will make your didactic year that much easier. Meaning, when that stuff comes along you're already familiar with it again and you can focus on the new details they throw at you. That means more time to study the harder material and perhaps less stress when it comes to taking the tests and trying to study a large amount of information in a short period of time. 

I re-took anatomy and pathophysiology the semester before starting school and it's helped so much. I've generally been familiar with most of the medical conditions presented so I've been able to focus my studies on the nuances and fine detail they want you to know as a PA. 

PAGuy55, it is really different for every person. Most study in groups some percentage of the time and individually some percent of the time. It helps to learn the material but spending time with your classmates also keeps you from going absolutely crazy. I've found I learn well from podcasts. There are a lot of great ones. PA Boards, Physician Assistant Exam Review, etc. They are based on the blueprint for the PANCE which is how most PA curriculums are designed. However most just read or re-write powerpoints. We also take notes on the powerpoint in class. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Better question I have for students. HOW did you study during PA school? Like just straight up reading powerpoints over and over? Writing down? Did you use any note taker in class or just popped open word and took notes? Group or individual?

As others mentioned it really is based on what works best. A lot of people do study in groups. That doesn't work for me, I study alone. The vast majority of us use onenote. Some people re listen to the lectures, I do too depending on who is presenting. Some re-write, some make charts, and some just review the slides over and over. I've done all of that. Sometimes it depends on the exam and how much time I have.

You'll find out quickly if what you're doing works or doesn't.

As others mentioned it really is based on what works best. A lot of people do study in groups. That doesn't work for me, I study alone. The vast majority of us use onenote. Some people re listen to the lectures, I do too depending on who is presenting. Some re-write, some make charts, and some just review the slides over and over. I've done all of that. Sometimes it depends on the exam and how much time I have.

You'll find out quickly if what you're doing works or doesn't.

Let's be honest here - I'm sure this Max PA guy doesn't study much and just spends most of his time on facebook. ;)

Definitely study while in school. That said if you're deadset on studying beforehand get one of the PANCE review book and study the hell out of it. That PANCE is the same as the "Clinical Medicine" class in PA school so you'll be able to prepare for both. The rest of the classes (pathophysiology, pharmacology, gross anatomy, etc) are often school specific in terms of what they focus on so it's not worth trying to prestudy for them.

Lol okay great. I'm starting this summer so I'm a little nervous because I want to figure out really how to study. In undergrad I used to study with people but just for support. Aka complain to eachother, laugh about it lol. Biochem was a great example of that. I used to relisten to lectures and that was super effective for me for like physiology. I opted to live by myself so hopefully that works better for the invididual study time.

No.

I went fishing with my grandfather. Went to the beach. Got into shape. Spent time with family. Did things that were important to me as a person and not as a student.

Don't study. You only go to PA school once and need to get everything in a row yes, but some things are bigger than school. 

I would recommend familiarizing yourself with medical terminology before PA school, but that's about it.  I bought a medical terminology book and went through it so when I arrived I wasn't learning a foreign language.  I found it to be very helpful. Ideally you would have given yourself some exposure to the medical field prior to going to PA school through shadowing, clinical hours and classes like anatomy.  That is a solid foundation.  Enjoy your time with friends and family while you can. You'll have plenty of time to learn in school. 

I took prerequisites, applied to PA school, but enrolled in a second year of science coursework to strengthen my application, in case I was rejected.  Fortunately, I was accepted on my first try (on the last day to drop classes for a full refund).  I dropped the courses I wasn't excited about, such as organic chemistry, but stuck with the ones that sounded more interesting.  I took an upper division physiology course at the University of Washington that was well worth my time -- there was a lot of neurophysiology and endocrine material that I still use.  If you have the time and resources, consider taking just one or two courses to build your science knowledge.

I took prerequisites, applied to PA school, but enrolled in a second year of science coursework to strengthen my application, in case I was rejected.  Fortunately, I was accepted on my first try (on the last day to drop classes for a full refund).  I dropped the courses I wasn't excited about, such as organic chemistry, but stuck with the ones that sounded more interesting.  I took an upper division physiology course at the University of Washington that was well worth my time -- there was a lot of neurophysiology and endocrine material that I still use.  If you have the time and resources, consider taking just one or two courses to build your science knowledge.

I like your feedback! I start school in one month though, so its a little late for me lol. 

I like your feedback! I start school in one month though, so its a little late for me lol. 

Then, if you don't have any "bucket list" before you are incarcerated in PA school, a brush up on medical terminology would be a 'best bet'.  Everything comes at you fast and furious, the less you have to translate, the better.

So excited to be near the finish line of didactic.

This.

Without beating a dead horse too much: Prior to PA school I loved school.  The PA I worked with used to say she would never go back to school again, and I could not understand why she would say that.  Learning new stuff is awesome.

I understand it now and I still have 12 weeks of didactic left.  Learning is still fun, but the level of intensity is tough to describe.  We have tests every two weeks (all classes covered in the previous two weeks on one test) and after that is over I feel like I need a month off, but if we get a weekend we are lucky, frequently we have lecture that afternoon.  I am over the lecture environment and ready to get out of the classroom.   

All that to say, don't study before school starts.  It really isn't going to do you much good and you will probably end up regretting not going to the beach, or the mountains, or a lake, or a walk or anything else you could do with your time.

Archived