Good Morning Everyone,

Yesterday I attended the re-applicant information session at UW in Seattle (March 23rd) and I would like to compare notes and find out if any questions get answered. I fell victim to the CASPA mess last fall, but I do have several areas that I can improve in. Anyways, I am going to jot down some of my notes and takeaways from the session. Feel free to critique and add some points. PLEASE call me out if I'm wrong. 

Academic Prereqs - STAYING THE SAME!!! :)

-Consider taking recommended classes

• biochem
  • genetic
  • social science

-Talk to / Shadow a PA

• Know roles of PA in different specialties

This one received many underlines for me because I work with a bunch of PAs so I did not feel the need to shadow anybody.. certainly room for improvement their. Apparently, this was a sizable area that people fell short during the interview; not clearly knowing the role of a PA in different specialties.

-CASPA's Mess

• CASPA failed a lot of us this last fall
  • 100 applicants were left unverified until November because they did not click the button "verify"....
  • This is promised to be hemmed up by the hiring of 60 plus people
  • Positive note - Allegedly, are caspa info will be retained for next year except references. Even verified transcripts will not need to be resubmitted

​-Spokane will be Master's only

-Pay attention to current issues affection PAs and healthcare 

I have more minor thing. Please post what you have!

• Upvote 3

Thanks for sharing! Due to the hours that I work, I was unable to attend all the reapplicant sessions :-(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

Thank you for sharing! it was nice to hear that about a quarter of acceptance were reapplicants! There is hope everyone! This will be my third year applying and I am hoping third time is the charm!

• Upvote 3

Yeah, thanks for starting this thread!  If I remember correctly, they also mentioned adding masters seats to the Anchorage site next year.

PaigeClark3, this will be my third crack at MEDEX, too!  "Third time's the charm" has become my mantra. 

• Upvote 1

@jomedic- yes they are placing master seats in anchorage next year.

I know there are a few of us going on our third try this year and I am wishing everyone the best!

I'm a third timer as well. Does anyone have any leads on PA shadowing? Unfortunately the office I work in is a group of all MDs, so I just don't have a ton of access to them. I feel like a strong applicant, so of course it's frustrating but I guess we all have to keep at it. Also, having CASPA work better this year would be a huge stress-reliever. Good luck to everyone!

duhipna- Perhaps the MDs in your office could put you in touch with fellow MDs who utilize PAs? I have found that it's easiest to have an "in" when trying to secure shadowing if you don't work with PAs directly.

Hello Everyone,

CASPA just opened today!!! such an exciting yet nerve wracking time! I am wishing everyone the best of luck!

In the packet provided at the information sessions, it lists May 15 as the date the UW supplemental application opens for 2016. I am assuming once the supplemental is available it will be posted on CASPA at that time as well.

• Upvote 2

Does anyone know when U of Washington is going to put its application on CASPA?

Beniimo, it is now available on CASPA. It just opened up today for MEDEX. In case you are curious about any other schools, there is a link on the log-in page that brings you to a list of schools which includes the dates that the school opens up its application, as well as the deadline for that particular school. For example, Stanford's application on CASPA doesn't open up till July 1st and the deadline is TBA.

It looks like the MEDEX supplemental application is now open. Best of luck to everyone!

• Upvote 1

For shadowing leads, join WAPA (or your own state's PA association).  Write them, and politely ask for help.

Also, it is fine to shadow MDs and NPs to build on or broaden your experience (although PAs are best).

BTW, I am finishing up MEDEX's program in three months.  Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck.

• Upvote 1

So I am a little worried because I was not able to complete my application until today and I am still waiting on transcripts from this quarter and a couple referrals. I had not taken statistics because I thought I had taken it many years ago but it turns out I took Contemporary Math which has a statistics component. So instead of being done with pre-reqs in June I just completed them. I had applied 2 years ago and it was not a required class then.

I had to update A&P and Micro also (it had been over a decade since I took them). Now I see people are already being called in for interviews (CONGRATULATIONS!!!).

I am hoping everything will be together and sent in soon.  I will be relieved when I know they have it. Then the waiting for the next step.

For those of you who are already students - did many of you apply into September?  

If it helps... last year due to some troubles with the CASPA website I wasn't able to be fully verified until Sept 16. I received an interview invite on 10/22 for MEDEX last year for an interview in late November. I wasn't accepted (waitlisted), but I would say there's absolutely a shot at getting an interview still as they interview well into January. Now, this year I was verified in late June and wasn't selected for the September interviews, so I'm not entirely sure if there was just a lot of early applicants or if I'm out of luck..

I submitted last sept and was invited to a January interview in November. I wasn't accepted. But there is hope you can get an interview. Good luck.

If it helps... last year due to some troubles with the CASPA website I wasn't able to be fully verified until Sept 16. I received an interview invite on 10/22 for MEDEX last year for an interview in late November. I wasn't accepted (waitlisted), but I would say there's absolutely a shot at getting an interview still as they interview well into January. Now, this year I was verified in late June and wasn't selected for the September interviews, so I'm not entirely sure if there was just a lot of early applicants or if I'm out of luck..

Thank you for the information - that is encouraging. CASPA is still processing my application - the waiting is stressful! I can't do anything to expedite it - so I just have to be patient. 

On 9/6/2016 at 7:11 AM, lpblack16 said:

Can I ask how you know you weren't selected for a september interview??

Unfortunately, all the invites for this years 9/26 interview for Seattle went out on the same day, approximately 1 month in advance.  But it sounds like there's many more to come!