Advice: mornings, commute, schedule

I need advice in a couple of different areas:

1. Tips on how to wake up and stay awake in the morning (other than my cellphone alarm)

2. Will a 25 minute driving commute (with traffic) considered too stressful for clinical year?

3. Are there resources are out there for creating a strict and balanced sleep/life schedule?

Thanks!

1. Put an alarm clock across the room so you have to get up out of bed to turn it off.  

2. Only you can decide.  It's basically like commuting to a job - plenty of people do it.  Make sure you allow enough time and you'll be fine.

3. I think just having the will power to go to bed and get up when you need to.  

All of these things are just part of being an adult.  You have to get up and function in the morning.  If you're late, you'll get fired (or kicked out of school).  In order to be able to get up in the morning, you have to go to bed at night (not at 3 am).  Commuting 25 min is pretty common for a lot of areas of the country. You need to be up even earlier to allow for traffic delays, weather problems, etc because it might not always take just 25 mins.

If you're trying to do this for working nights or something, the same rules apply.  Get into a pattern/routine.

(1) try to give yourself a few minutes extra in the morning to stretch, like you're about to go work out. this helps some people get the blood and oxygen going. also, coffee/espresso shots

(2) no comment, my commute for the past 4 yrs has been ~50 mins

(3) keep a calendar, instead of being too strict write goals for certain days i.e. in bed by 9pm. be flexible in finding what works best for your lifestyle and productivity

I was wondering if it was a typo....

Serious?! You've made it to clinical year with the most stressful thing being a 25 min commute? I want your brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didactic year was brutal mentally but I previously lived near campus, so I just walked! I'm just unsure how I would adjust to traffic in addition to being in clinic all day :)

so all your rotations are at the same location?

Even if it is 25 mins commute, that is a VERY convenient perk of your program.

For me, a shower or splash of water on the face seems to do the trick when waking up. The problem is getting to the bathroom to do so. As others have stated, having your alarm more than an arms-reach away helps. There are also apps that make you solve a problem before your alarm is shut off.

Creating a good schedule can only be done by you. Treating you body well will also help; healthy eating, exercise, rest and relaxation time.

Get a coffee maker with a timer! You can wake up to the smell of coffee ready to drink. I also have a timer that plays music and lights up and is difficult to snooze. I'm anything but a morning person, but this has helped me. Oh and a 25 minute commute isn't bad at all! Good luck on rotations!

Get a coffee maker with a timer! You can wake up to the smell of coffee ready to drink. I also have a timer that plays music and lights up and is difficult to snooze. I'm anything but a morning person, but this has helped me. Oh and a 25 minute commute isn't bad at all! Good luck on rotations!

Thanks! Do you have a link where I could purchase this amazing music/light timer ?

No caffeine or other stimulants.  Get rid of it, get 8+ hours of sleep EVERY night, and wake up without hitting snooze on your alarm, ever.

This (except I like coffee)

Before school I did 14 years as a sleep tech.  Bed at the same time as frequently as is possible and get up at the same time as frequently as is possible.  Don't sleep in on weekends, don't stay up late on weekends.  If you end up working 3rd shift make your room as dark as you possibly can, run a fan in the corner and turn your phone to do not disturb

Archived