How to explain to potential employer reason left job

I left my last job after I worked one shift. I have 6 MO experience as a hospitalist and then obtained a new job. When I got there, there was only computer training and my first shift I had 11 pts and then 3 admissions. I was completely overwhelmed as I never had pts completely to myself ( the doc wouldn't be seeing them or looking at my notes) I had two really sick ppl and the doc wouldn't even answer my questions about them. So I quit after one day. How do I explain this to a potential employer?

You don't. Leave it off your resume if you literally only worked one shift. If they inquire based on their search in your credentials at a specific hospital

I'd explain that you didn't find it a good fit for XYZ reasons. Don't berate former employer though if questioned.

On the flip side, not sure where you worked this one shift but that can be what hospitalist medicine is like. Over night within my first two weeks of I work as a new grad I managed 25+ pts on my own as well as 3-4 admissions. Can be frightening but over time I promise it'll get easier and more manageable. Don't be scared away at your next job when you feel overwhelmed, welcome to pa life :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest ERCat

I had a similar experience as a new grad doing internal medicine for a big drug rehab facility but I never even worked the first shift, just did a week of training. As I trained I realized that as a new grad I wouldn't have a real SP in internal medicine (my SP was a psychiatrist who was never there) and that I would be "in charge of everything medical for the whole facility." I didn't even put it on my resume. However, I have told a lot of the doctors that I work with about this, including my boss. No one looks down on me... Because it was a smart move. I think that being "scared" about situations like these shows that you know what you don't know. Overconfidence as a new grad can be dangerous.

Archived