Dual MPAS/PhD

Has anyone thought about completing a dual degree/ is in the process of this? How feasible is this and do you find this degree useful for your career goals? I am considering pursuing a dual degree in molecular and medical genetics (PhD) in addition to obtaining my MPAS. I begin PA school this summer. 

• Administrator

There's a program that lets you do this?  I would think PA would be too different from a Ph.D. to have a formal dual degree program, because there's not a whole lot of overlap.  I knew a guy who tried to do an MD/M.Div., but Harvard wouldn't let him.

I imagine if a program offers it, it must be feasible in some way.  Unless, of course, you are the guinea pig cohort testing it out.

I don't think I would pursue this unless it REALLY was necessary for my career goals.  There was a poster a while back looking to do PA/PhD in order to do clinical research and i guess that would be a reasonable thought process.  I just personally don't see the fields overlapping enough to do it; my only reason would be due to interest in the material and I don't know that the ROI would be worth it.

My program tried doing this about 10 years ago- one person did actually complete a PA/PhD, and then a couple years later they enrolled a couple current PhD students into the PA program with the idea that they'd complete the PhD after the PA portion- neither of them did complete their PhD though, but both work as PAs.  To my knowledge, it's no longer offered as an option as it was a trial that didn't go so well.

Archived