The Necessity of Taking the PANRE?!!

Michigan does not require it for DEA prescribing or practice, nor do they require CME!!!!  Most employers do, however, except for renegades.   The difficulty is that docs are not required to maintain board certification for licensure anywhere.  So NCCPA really has a lock on that income in most places.  I have noticed anecdotally that California PAs seem less tied to the certification unless you are in a huge hospital system in an urban area. 

True, California doesn't care about PANRE, just logging the 100 CMEs every couple of years is enough to keep the PA-C status. Some High-profile hospitals in CA might require PANRE. Writing scheduled meds also is totally related to the signed DSA between PA and supervising MD and nothing to do with the NCCPA and PANRE.

Most insurance companies and hospitals and certainly corporate medicine machines will NOT employ you or credential you without the C.

Just the way it is.

Corporate medicine will not hire docs who are not board certified and maintain said certification.

I am not sure why some spend so much time trying to skirt this issue. If you get the C and keep the C - life is ok. If you refuse the C and want the same privileges - I have no sympathy for not getting it.

It is not a perfect machine by any means but it is what keeps us all on the same playing field and identifiable as a true PA who attended a true PA school and it is what we have at the moment.

So, I have had the C for 25 years and have no plans to let it lapse. My life is easier and my income more stable if I have it and keep it.

My very old 2 cents......

Thanks for your feedback guys, It certainly worth more than 2C ents, or actually a -C next to PA degree as some of you put it! You convinced me to take the PANRE and be done with it for the next 10 years or maybe for good since the new changes are expected by the NCCPA. Just remember they just have two part-time employees there and can't afford a toll-free phone number.

NCCPA doesn't have a 1-800 but they aren't Walmart and the general public has no need to call them en mass.

That doesn't bother me in the least. They have always answered the phone for me.

Their job area on their website has over 8 job listings so I am not sure about the statement that they have 2 part time employees......

It IS what we, as PAs have to deal with. Be happy we don't work for the IRS, or Walmart for that matter.

They are not perfect and they need feedback that is constructive and could help make them more user friendly and helpful.

Keep your C and participate in the process of helping the situation.

Those who answer calls are only a few part-time employees and based on my experience some aren't truly knowledgeable about things. I guess being a NCCPA customer service agent can't be life-long career. They come and go and before they get a grasp on things they are already gone. You Advanced Member could you update me that who elects the NCCPAs board of directors and who authorizes the credibility of PANCE & PANRE testing questions and process?

• 1 month later...
Guest Paula

I just got my notice I passed PANRE and now am in the new 10 year recert cycle.......which means I will never have to take the test again.  I WILL be retired in 10 years.

PA-C 12 years in, second career, turning 60 this summer, and in 10 years will be enjoying other pursuits. 

It's been a great career  and not over yet!!!  

Yep, I'm there with you and congrats!  Now, the other PITA to get over and that's the PI.  I'll do another SA for '17-'18 and then ride it out to '20.  At that point I may just let it lapse for that last six months (age 62).  Already looking at Realtor.com and Zillow.com for that Hawaiian real estate.  Maui in July and may have to scope some property out.  What wife and I are putting back for retirement we could put toward the P&I for the new property.  Have home paid for there and live off pensions/SS/IRAs.

I take my fourth version of PANRE next year and start the 10 yr cycle.

NOT EVEN CLOSE to retirement. Not quite 50 yet. Kids to go to college and 2 mortgages right now - one supposed to be lease income property - working on that.

I dread PI and I dread the stupid CME requirements. Not sure I want to see what a mess they will make of PANRE despite anything any of us have told NCCPA.

I will probably still be working at 65 - dammit. Just the way it is.

Then again, a few lottery tickets every week doesn't cost too much........

I've taken panre x 3 and am now on 10 yr cycle. will probably take 2 more times. it's really not a difficult test if you work in primary care/UC/EM. folks who fail it work in very narrow subspecialties. I agree PI is a PITA. I will do SA first and worry about PI in 4 years.

Guest Paula

I've taken panre x 3 and am now on 10 yr cycle. will probably take 2 more times. it's really not a difficult test if you work in primary care/UC/EM. folks who fail it work in very narrow subspecialties. I agree PI is a PITA. I will do SA first and worry about PI in 4 years.

That is my plan, too.  Do the SA and find as many free ones as possible.  Avoid the PI until the very end and probably not do at all.  I'm trying to figure out how to game the system!!!!  I don't NEED the -C to continue working so as long as we stay in WI, I could decide to work prn if needed.

But relaxing and enjoying other aspects of life rather than work is much more appealing.  I sure hope I have grandkids by then!!

I take my fourth version of PANRE next year and start the 10 yr cycle.

NOT EVEN CLOSE to retirement. Not quite 50 yet. Kids to go to college and 2 mortgages right now - one supposed to be lease income property - working on that.

I dread PI and I dread the stupid CME requirements. Not sure I want to see what a mess they will make of PANRE despite anything any of us have told NCCPA.

I will probably still be working at 65 - dammit. Just the way it is.

Then again, a few lottery tickets every week doesn't cost too much........

Of topic momentarily, one of the greatest blessings, and biggest foul ups the state of Texas made, was offering prepaid tuition at guaranteed pricing back in the early 90's when the market was going haywire.  My daughter's PGF and I (she's an only child) matched $1K contributions on her birthday and we were able to purchase a lump-sum 4 year university tuition deal for her while in elementary school.  We paid $16K as I recall and it ended up costing her $36K and she still has enough hours for a full semester and a half left. If she doesn't go to grad school dad here gets the reimbursement check.  For those with kids heading to college shortly, the university cost estimates were dead on in our case (we were able to save the remaining $60K before her last year so no debt).  Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Archived