Hello,

I'm graduating in August and am planning to take the PANCE in mid September and start work at an ED on a Native American reservation in the fall. I'm interested in finding out if/how EM providers manage to take advantage of IHS loan repayment programs. It seems to me that the work requirements by the loan repayment program (LRP) are quite restrictive and wouldn't work very well for clustered blocks of shifts like I plan to do (I plan to commute for my shifts from my home 3 hours away and stay on the rez while I'm working).

If anyone has any experience making their EM shifts work within the requirements of the IHS LRP, I'd love to know how you do that. Or, if there's some other, less restrictive, loan repayment options available, please let me know. 

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I don't have an answer for you as I'm not part of ihs. However, I'm looking to follow a similar career path and was wondering if you had time to chat about your experience so far. If I remember correctly, the requirements are 40 hrs a week, but 4 of that can be non patient care. Which makes 3, 12hr shifts acceptable but you'd have to figure out how to fit in the extra hrs. Maybe pick up an extra shift here or there to have an average of 40/week?

Archived