Hello, I hope this finds everyone well.

I am now 38 and decided on a career change and thus  have been taking prerequisites at a pretty decent community college in NYC, which I am almost done with. I have several issue at the moment:

1. Every time I look at the program of my choice website, a new prerequisite appears; last year they were different than this year so there are always classes I am missing and can not apply

2. I want to work with patients already and a phlebotomy program is opening up and thinking of registering but it is not cheap and do I really need it?

3. I have about 65 hrs of shadowing and the doctor trained me as a medical assistant: cleaning the room, taking temp, BP, simple eye chart exam, this is pediatrics

4. Feeling inert and stuck, just want to move forward already, still taking 2 chem classes

5. my gpa is 3.909 for about 60 creds (mostly pre-reqs, science + others ) but my bachelors in art gpa is only 3.3

Should I proceed and  register for the phlebotomy course? I need something to happen. Getting a little depressed waiting for 3 years already with the fall semester still to go.

Any advice? I feel that although my gp is high, the schools are so competitive and need to have some extra skills. So tired of waiting, getting old here:(

You're not too old, I will matriculate 1 month after my 41st birthday. Keep up the good work on your science courses, don't be discouraged by the moving prerequisite target. Skip the phleb training and get something more well rounded like EMT, CNA, or formal MA cert.

Good luck.

• Upvote 5
  • Administrator

If you really want to be a PA "bad enough," there will be more than one program.  I get that many people have perceived family obligations, but a ridiculous number of people in my class--close to 50%--either moved their families to school or left them behind.

I can't comment specifically on phlebotomy, but PA school IS getting more and more competitive.  Your GPA sounds just fine, and I love the fact that you were an art major--the humanities and social sciences are terribly underrepresented in PA school applicants, really.  So, that leaves good HCE as the area where you need to work on most.  Informal/non-certified MA is a good start, and that and CNA seem to be the most common HCE paths for folks these days, BUT if you want to stand out above other applicants, you may need something extra.

I can't make the financial decision for you, but you at the very least seem to be asking exactly the right kind of questions.

• Upvote 3

If you really want to be a PA "bad enough," there will be more than one program.  I get that many people have perceived family obligations, but a ridiculous number of people in my class--close to 50%--either moved their families to school or left them behind.

I can't comment specifically on phlebotomy, but PA school IS getting more and more competitive.  Your GPA sounds just fine, and I love the fact that you were an art major--the humanities and social sciences are terribly underrepresented in PA school applicants, really.  So, that leaves good HCE as the area where you need to work on most.  Informal/non-certified MA is a good start, and that and CNA seem to be the most common HCE paths for folks these days, BUT if you want to stand out above other applicants, you may need something extra.

I can't make the financial decision for you, but you at the very least seem to be asking exactly the right kind of questions.

Thank you both, really appreciate it. I think I am going to pursue the medical assistant certification this summer. I would love to be able to apply to several schools outside NYC, unfortunately I neither have the budget to move nor a traditional family situation (it's complicated) this placing me in a very stationary mode, can't go too far. Yes, I am worried about how competitive the schools have become. Thank you, will be back here

Don't give up! In regards to pre-req's, if they are doing that they should extend the time or at least allow your class to be "in progress" at time of application.  That seems a little crazy! I would contact the program directly and ask them about the pre-req situation.  I dont think adding anything to your resume could hurt!  The more the better.  Also, not sure if you were shadowing the doc or PA (or what the program(s) you're applying to want) but most programs want to see PA shadowing hours (just a thought--not to discourage :) 

Chem can definitely make you feel stuck.  I know where you are at, I also took 2 1/2 to 3 years of pre reqs to simply apply.  It's a big risk.  I was 28 at the time.  My undergrad GPA was 3.0.  (I also have a masters degree that i performed well in).

Don't give up!  It's never too late to be who you might have been.  (a friend told me that when I was feeling the way you were)  It's a long haul but worth it.  

Good luck!

Hello, I hope this finds everyone well.

I am now 38 and decided on a career change and thus  have been taking prerequisites at a pretty decent community college in NYC, which I am almost done with. I have several issue at the moment:

1. Every time I look at the program of my choice website, a new prerequisite appears; last year they were different than this year so there are always classes I am missing and can not apply

2. I want to work with patients already and a phlebotomy program is opening up and thinking of registering but it is not cheap and do I really need it?

3. I have about 65 hrs of shadowing and the doctor trained me as a medical assistant: cleaning the room, taking temp, BP, simple eye chart exam, this is pediatrics

4. Feeling inert and stuck, just want to move forward already, still taking 2 chem classes

5. my gpa is 3.909 for about 60 creds (mostly pre-reqs, science + others ) but my bachelors in art gpa is only 3.3

Should I proceed and  register for the phlebotomy course? I need something to happen. Getting a little depressed waiting for 3 years already with the fall semester still to go.

Any advice? I feel that although my gp is high, the schools are so competitive and need to have some extra skills. So tired of waiting, getting old here:(

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Kyrah1988
      Hi all,
      I am a third time CASPA user and I am looking for some slither of hope. I didn’t do well at all my first three years of Undergraduate. My cGPA is 2.4 and sGPA is 2.75. Not any better. I am a non traditional student and have not attended school since 2014. I also have over 11000 HCE. I wanted to know are there any PA programs out there that have grade replacement or grade forgiveness. I wanted a more updated list. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Stay healthy my people. 
    • By futurepa1998
      Do I have a chance?
      I’m struggling to decide if I should apply for this cycle or not due to my gpa and PCE. I graduated last august with a bachelors in biology. I’m 23 btw. 
      Cumulative Gpa before post bacc credits-2.98
      Sci GPA-2.65
      Cumulative gpa after post bacc-3.17 (32 credits)
      Sci gpa after-3.10
      Post bacc cgpa- 3.98 sgpa- 4.00
      PCE hours as a CNA~1500
      Medical assistant~ 400
      HCE as a Pathology Tech~ 1360
      LOR- one from MD that I worked with, one from a PA I shadowed, and one from a former boss
      Shadowing~150 hours 
      Leadership Hours~80 hours 
      Volunteer~150 hours
      Taking the GRE this month 
      My GPA was low in my undergrad bc of going through personal circumstances and recently learning that I have ADHD. After finding out my diagnosis I completely changed how I studied and I had an upward trend my senior year and during this post bacc.
    • By KH21444
      Hello! I hope someone can help!! I am so confused in regards to if a medical assistant is considered PCE or HCE for CASPA. I've been an MA for 3 years, this past year I've been working in an Urgent Care. However, the two years prior is what I'm worried about. I do feel it's considered PCE based on what I did/level of responsibility, but the way CASPA describes it is freaking me out a bit. This might be a long post but I hope even just 1 person can give me some insight!!
      CASPA states:
      "Patient Care Experience
      Experiences in which you are directly responsible for a patient's care. For example, prescribing medication, performing procedures, directing a course of treatment, designing a treatment regimen, actively working on patients as a nurse, paramedic, EMT, CNA, phlebotomist, physical therapist, dental hygienist, etc.
      Healthcare Experience
      Both paid and unpaid work in a health or health-related field where you are not directly responsible for a patient's care, but may still have patient interaction; for example, filling prescriptions, performing clerical work, delivering patient food, cleaning patients and/or their rooms, administering food or medication, taking vitals or other record keeping information, working as a scribe, CNA (depending on job description), medical assistant, etc."

My Experience:
      I've been a Medical Assistant since 2018, right when I graduated I got a job through my MA externship to work in a GI/Colorectal surgery clinic inside a local hospital. The office had 4 GI Drs, 3 colorectal surgeons, 1 hepatologist & had 2 PAs/1 NP (one for each field). I worked with 3-4 other medical assistants and we did everything. We roomed patients (some days seeing 90-100 patients), covered for surgical schedulers if needed, covered for the front desk if needed. On top of doing out our own job! We were assigned physicians we would personally work with to delegate where patient calls/messages would go. For the first year, I was the MA for 1 gastroenterologist. The second year, I was promoted to working with the colorectal surgery team. I then worked with 3 surgeons (with 1 other MA), 1 was the chief of colorectal surgery for the hospital - I became one of his personal scribes who would go in while seeing patients and do his note/visit summaries, we would see around 20-30 patients when he was in clinic.
      Day to day duties consisted of prioritizing/answering messages/calls from patients in a timely manner, either helping them if we can ourselves or passing on the message to the appropriate physician where we would call the patient with their response. We would prescribe medications based on what the provider wanted, meaning: they would tell us what to prescribe and we would propose the orders for them so they didn't have to. Assisting in in-office procedures. It's important to add that I did too have a handful of administrative duties like scanning in medical records, refill requests, scheduling appointments, prior authorizations through insurance companies. (Even these I would think should be considered PCE based on the responsibility factor).
      Long story short, I did A LOT of work that I feel is considered Patient Care Experience, regardless of it's considered administrative or clinical. Meaning, I felt that I was directly responsible for the care of patients, under the supervision of the physicians. If I did call back to explain a treatment plan (made by the physician), then the patient would never get called. If I didn't call to schedule their surgery and make sure they have everything they need to prepare for a colonoscopy or colon resection, it would be my fault.
      In August of 2020 I transferred to an Urgent Care as I begun my prerequisite PA courses that needed to be on campus (or so I thought bc of COVID). Anyways, I am getting (official) back office MA experience now. However, I am terrified that my 2 years (4,000 hrs+) of GI/Colorectal surgery experience will be deemed as Healthcare experience rather than Patient care experience, which I feel would hurt my chances of getting into PA school.  Even the thought of dividing it half and half between PCE & HCE doesn't make me happy, but I rather do that then consider all this time HCE.
      I'm sorry for this long post, maybe I'm being ridiculous and overthinking this - but if anyone can share their insight or personal experience that would be highly appreciated!!
      Thank you ❤️
    • By futurepa1998
      Here are my stats 
      Gpas when I graduated with a degree in Biology 
      Cgpa-2.93 sgpa 2.73
      Took 45 credit hours post-bacc on my own
      Those gpas were cgpa-3.93 and sgpa 4.0
      It changed my original gpas to a cgpa of 3.13 and sgpa of 3.12
      PCE hours as a CNA ~1900 by the time I apply 
      HCE hours as a Pathology Tech 1200
      Volunteer ~200 which includes a medical mission trip to Panama for a week, starting a HOSA club at my community college, did many leadership activities, and habitat for humanity projects 
      Shadowing~100 half in person other was virtual
      LOR’s- 2 PA’s, 1 MD, 1 from current boss
      Only thing I need to take is GRE

I know my gpas are low and it was from my sophomore and junior year struggling with personal situations and also recently learning I have ADHD which caused me to change completely how I study. I am 22 btw if that helps with anything. 
    • By 201920192019pa2019
      Hi all,
      I am a second semester PA student who was accepted with a low GPA directly out of undergrad. I am holding Zoom Advising sessions where I can help you figure out how you can improve your application and answer any questions you may have about the application process including personal statement review. The cost of each session is $10. Please send me a PM if you are interested! Thank you, and Good luck!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More