Hello, I hope this finds everyone well.

I am now 38 and decided on a career change and thus  have been taking prerequisites at a pretty decent community college in NYC, which I am almost done with. I have several issue at the moment:

1. Every time I look at the program of my choice website, a new prerequisite appears; last year they were different than this year so there are always classes I am missing and can not apply

2. I want to work with patients already and a phlebotomy program is opening up and thinking of registering but it is not cheap and do I really need it?

3. I have about 65 hrs of shadowing and the doctor trained me as a medical assistant: cleaning the room, taking temp, BP, simple eye chart exam, this is pediatrics

4. Feeling inert and stuck, just want to move forward already, still taking 2 chem classes

5. my gpa is 3.909 for about 60 creds (mostly pre-reqs, science + others ) but my bachelors in art gpa is only 3.3

Should I proceed and  register for the phlebotomy course? I need something to happen. Getting a little depressed waiting for 3 years already with the fall semester still to go.

Any advice? I feel that although my gp is high, the schools are so competitive and need to have some extra skills. So tired of waiting, getting old here:(

You're not too old, I will matriculate 1 month after my 41st birthday. Keep up the good work on your science courses, don't be discouraged by the moving prerequisite target. Skip the phleb training and get something more well rounded like EMT, CNA, or formal MA cert.

Good luck.

• Administrator

If you really want to be a PA "bad enough," there will be more than one program.  I get that many people have perceived family obligations, but a ridiculous number of people in my class--close to 50%--either moved their families to school or left them behind.

I can't comment specifically on phlebotomy, but PA school IS getting more and more competitive.  Your GPA sounds just fine, and I love the fact that you were an art major--the humanities and social sciences are terribly underrepresented in PA school applicants, really.  So, that leaves good HCE as the area where you need to work on most.  Informal/non-certified MA is a good start, and that and CNA seem to be the most common HCE paths for folks these days, BUT if you want to stand out above other applicants, you may need something extra.

I can't make the financial decision for you, but you at the very least seem to be asking exactly the right kind of questions.

If you really want to be a PA "bad enough," there will be more than one program.  I get that many people have perceived family obligations, but a ridiculous number of people in my class--close to 50%--either moved their families to school or left them behind.

I can't comment specifically on phlebotomy, but PA school IS getting more and more competitive.  Your GPA sounds just fine, and I love the fact that you were an art major--the humanities and social sciences are terribly underrepresented in PA school applicants, really.  So, that leaves good HCE as the area where you need to work on most.  Informal/non-certified MA is a good start, and that and CNA seem to be the most common HCE paths for folks these days, BUT if you want to stand out above other applicants, you may need something extra.

I can't make the financial decision for you, but you at the very least seem to be asking exactly the right kind of questions.

Thank you both, really appreciate it. I think I am going to pursue the medical assistant certification this summer. I would love to be able to apply to several schools outside NYC, unfortunately I neither have the budget to move nor a traditional family situation (it's complicated) this placing me in a very stationary mode, can't go too far. Yes, I am worried about how competitive the schools have become. Thank you, will be back here

Don't give up! In regards to pre-req's, if they are doing that they should extend the time or at least allow your class to be "in progress" at time of application.  That seems a little crazy! I would contact the program directly and ask them about the pre-req situation.  I dont think adding anything to your resume could hurt!  The more the better.  Also, not sure if you were shadowing the doc or PA (or what the program(s) you're applying to want) but most programs want to see PA shadowing hours (just a thought--not to discourage :) 

Chem can definitely make you feel stuck.  I know where you are at, I also took 2 1/2 to 3 years of pre reqs to simply apply.  It's a big risk.  I was 28 at the time.  My undergrad GPA was 3.0.  (I also have a masters degree that i performed well in).

Don't give up!  It's never too late to be who you might have been.  (a friend told me that when I was feeling the way you were)  It's a long haul but worth it.  

Good luck!

Hello, I hope this finds everyone well.

I am now 38 and decided on a career change and thus  have been taking prerequisites at a pretty decent community college in NYC, which I am almost done with. I have several issue at the moment:

1. Every time I look at the program of my choice website, a new prerequisite appears; last year they were different than this year so there are always classes I am missing and can not apply

2. I want to work with patients already and a phlebotomy program is opening up and thinking of registering but it is not cheap and do I really need it?

3. I have about 65 hrs of shadowing and the doctor trained me as a medical assistant: cleaning the room, taking temp, BP, simple eye chart exam, this is pediatrics

4. Feeling inert and stuck, just want to move forward already, still taking 2 chem classes

5. my gpa is 3.909 for about 60 creds (mostly pre-reqs, science + others ) but my bachelors in art gpa is only 3.3

Should I proceed and  register for the phlebotomy course? I need something to happen. Getting a little depressed waiting for 3 years already with the fall semester still to go.

Any advice? I feel that although my gp is high, the schools are so competitive and need to have some extra skills. So tired of waiting, getting old here:(

Archived