Any dental hygienists turned pre-PA here?

A lot of people don't understand our scope of practice and may not realize how much and how involved our patient contact actually is. So, I was curious if anyone has applied or interviewed with that as your only/primary patient contact and what your experience was.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

One of my PA students was an RDH in a periodontal practice.  She was outstanding as a student and then went on to do a residency in oncology at MD Anderson.  Many RDHs in the DHSc program, mostly program educators at universities, one grad who now an assistant professor at the University of Michigan College of Dentistry.  I have nothing but respect for the profession.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I'm a dental hygienist thinking about PA school.  I'm only applying to two schools, but both accept dental hygienists.  I was told to highlight my experience giving injections, monitoring nitrous, doing treatment plans and periodontal therapies, giving antimicrobials like Peridex (the dentist just signs it), doing procedures like placing Arestin and using lasers, taking medical histories, oral and head and neck cancer screenings.  I think it's all very relevant just like any other specialized position in the medical field. 

3 people from either my class or the classes after me are currently in PA school at EVMS and UAMS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2016 at 9:44 PM, mamatan said:

I'm a dental hygienist thinking about PA school.  I'm only applying to two schools, but both accept dental hygienists.  I was told to highlight my experience giving injections, monitoring nitrous, doing treatment plans and periodontal therapies, giving antimicrobials like Peridex (the dentist just signs it), doing procedures like placing Arestin and using lasers, taking medical histories, oral and head and neck cancer screenings.  I think it's all very relevant just like any other specialized position in the medical field. 

3 people from either my class or the classes after me are currently in PA school at EVMS and UAMS.

Hi! Just wondering how things are for you now. I'm about to submit my application to EVMS. Entering the "hurry up and wait." :-) 

Hi everyone!!! So I am a RDH with a MPH (Master Science in Public Health) for the last 15 yrs. I applied a few years back (rejection) but was told by one school that RDH is not considered "medical health care". I was completely discouraged but since that time I have worked at revamping my prereqs and considered fields such as  CNA or phlebotomy etc. The problem was the pay is not the same  or even close to hygiene and I have a family. I decided to contact EACH program that I am interested in applying to soon to confirm that they will accept RDH as HCE /direct PC. 

Best of Luck

• Upvote 1

UNT in Denton Texas but that was 3 yrs ago things may have changed since.....I did a webinar and asked that question specifically....was told “medical “settings would be better than dental due to dental is localized and medical is head to toe....

perhaps the Acceptable HCE has changed since each year various things are modified 

• 1 year later...

Hi, 

I am a practicing RDH and will apply this cycle!!!! RDH is my only HCE! I was baffled to hear some schools would prefer for me to scribe as HCE. While i find being a scribe is excellent exposure, I am constantly with patients as an independent provider, so hopefully most school I am applying to will value that. 

• 6 months later...