difference between biochemistry & biological chemistry

I don't know what the difference is (as a chemistry major, you would be the more knowledgeable) but I will tell you that if a school requires a class called "biochemistry" they are not kidding. Before you take something that isn't that specific class, you should talk with the admissions counselor at your favorite PA school and get her opinion on the syllabus. I had a buddy who couldn't apply to one of the schools he wanted because of this - he was a biology major and took several very high level science classes, none of which were "biochemistry" but were very similar. No dice.

Could be different at varying schools, but in my experience biological chemistry is an intro to orgo/biochem that is in a sequence before orgo I and II and biochem. It comes after gen chem I and II. I took biological chemistry and not biochem and Rosalind Franklin told me that I needed to take either another biochem that included genetics or a genetics class because biological chemistry was lacking in genetics.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By FromMic2Meds
      Hey everyone, I am putting together my application for the upcoming cycle. I am at the part where I am inputting my transcript and can't figure out how to classify some courses taken as part of my Health Sciences major which kind of 'umbrellas' subjects under health care.
      The course in question is: Marketing in Healthcare. 
      My dilemma is classifying this under either:
      Health Science Marketing Health Science Administration Please help 🙃
    • By Lidia86
      Hello everyone. I would like to hear your opinions on online lab classes due to the Covid-19 situation right now. So I’m enrolled in general chemistry with an online lab, and I am contemplating on dropping the class because I’m afraid schools won’t accept it. (Also waist of time and money) Thanks for your opinions. 
    • By toyosizai
      Hi, 

Just signed up for this forum. 

I am currently a senior in my undergrad, I finish in the Summer 2021. My current cumulative gpa is 3.09 which is very low and for my science courses these are the grades I have made: 
      General Chem 1 & 2: B
      Biology 1 : B
      Biology 2: C 
      Orgo 1: C 
      Orgo 2: F(first time), C (2nd time)  
      Physics 1 & 2: A
      Genetics: B-
      Microbiology: D, I am going to retake. 

I am taking Biochemistry 1 this spring 2021 and other upper-division biology courses where I hope to make As in. 

I would like advice on what I should do to increase my gpa.  Should I enroll in a post-bacc program while getting PCE (through volunteering/shadowing or getting a job at an urgent care or hospital) or should retake the classes I received a C or below in, then start prepping to take the GRE and going through the application process. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you. 

• By vitielloshirls
      question about chem lab!
      Hey everyone! I hope you are well well, I had a question about taking chem lecture and chem lab together. I currently haven't been able to get my lecture and lab together and probably won't be able to do the labs until the summer time. I am looking to apply to most of the nyc/northeast programs and wanted to know if its ok to take the labs separate?
    • By throwaway8095
      Im curious about the difficulty of the course and wether or not the exams/finals are open note/internet. and if so, is it easy to find solutions online to the questions along with good explanations.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More