From Physician Assistant to Physician

Guest pepitohonguito

Guest pepitohonguito

Does anyone know if the credits that you make studying Physician Assistant are transferable to the Physician career?  I'm planning studying PA in UMass Dartmouth, Massachusetts but I would love being a doctor in the future. The problem is that I cannot move to Worcester, MA, where the medicine career is available.  So I would like to know if in the future, if I have a chance can I transfer these credits and studying medicine? or do I have to start the physician career from zero?

Thank you. I would like to read your opinions. 

Guest pepitohonguito

Okay... I will wait for more helpful answers....If I'm asking this is because I can't move to another city at the moment. Thanks.

Okay... I will wait for more helpful answers....If I'm asking this is because I can't move to another city at the moment. Thanks.

You got helpful answers- the correct answer is no, your PA school credits are not transferable.

If you don't like the responses you get, then you should not ask for opinions as you did in your original post

Guest pepitohonguito

What's wrong with you people? I just said I will wait for more helpful answers....because I want to listen to other opinions....There's no need to be agressive....

The consensus you will likely get here is that PA is NOT, I repeat, NOT a bridge to becoming an MD/DO.

If you want to become a PA - do so.

If you really want to become a physician - do that when and if the time is right.

Do not waste the opportunity for someone who really wants to become and stay a PA to do so by applying to a PA school when that is not your ultimate goal.

Your PA education will NOT transfer to a physician education.

You have your answers.

Guest pepitohonguito

Okay, but if I decide to study PA, considering that I'm paying for my education, and that is my right. I'm not wasting the opportunity of someone, so don't make any judgement about me, because I'm here asking humbly, and you should answer in the same way. Everybody makes its way according to his/her opportunities. Is this a PA thing being so agressive? or what? Am I doing something wrong? is for you an insult my question? because I really don't get it.

The consensus you will likely get here is that PA is NOT, I repeat, NOT a bridge to becoming an MD/DO.

If you want to become a PA - do so.

If you really want to become a physician - do that when and if the time is right.

Do not waste the opportunity for someone who really wants to become and stay a PA to do so by applying to a PA school when that is not your ultimate goal.

Your PA education will NOT transfer to a physician education.

You have your answers.

We are not aggressive, we are promoting OUR profession and how it should be.

If you go to a PA school interview and are not sincere and plan to go to medical school - you are wasting our time and profession. It is insulting that one would think it ok to become something else just because there are no medical schools nearby or an option. 

Do NOT go to PA school if you want to be a doctor. It just isn't right - no matter who pays for the education.

You are not asking anything with humility. You clearly want to be a doctor. Do THAT.

So, again, PAs are PAs because that is what we WANT to be - forever in most cases.

I think you are done here.

Guest pepitohonguito

So the problem is that you feel that i'm insulting you because I don't fancy being a PA but a doctor....I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disparage your profession. I'm an ignorant so that's why i'm asking. You don't need to be so defensive and sensitive. I do believe that your work is very impressive and important. 

What's wrong with you people? I just said I will wait for more helpful answers....because I want to listen to other opinions....There's no need to be agressive....

This is not a matter of opinion.  You have gotten factual answers.  There are no other answers or opinions to be had.

Going to PA school is not like picking a major for undergraduate studies where you can transfer from one school to another.  When you apply to PA school, you do not bring in any advanced credits and they will not transfer to any other program, school, or degree.  The same can be said for med school.  You must apply to be accepted and will always start from ground zero - you don't get to bring advanced credits.  

If you can't move for school at this time, perhaps you should wait until you can.  If you don't want to be a PA, there's really no point in going to PA school.

It's just not a good plan to deliberately choose to be a PA while planning to later go back to med school. It's much more expensive and really not an efficient use of scarce healthcare training resources.

That said, I did it, but I didn't really know I COULD go to medical school and complete residency to become a fully trained physician until I was well into my 30s. When I started med school I had been an overemployed and (compared tp some) underpaid PA for 11 years. It was HARD. I struggled to learn how to learn again and it was scary and expensive. I'm not gonna lie, there were times of extreme frustration when the greatest motivation to keep putting one foot in front of the other and show up for one more day of a mind-numbing shadowing rotation where I got to do less as an MS3 than I had the past decade as a PA (or PA student!!) or study for one more test to get another 75 or 88 was to not have to come back to this board and admit failure. So I persevered.

Overall I'm very glad I did it but I don't recommend this path to most. I think the wiser choice is to just go to med school when you have an inkling that being a physician is what you REALLY want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

So your question has been answered. The credits arent transferable.

I have a question for you,

Why spend the time and money in PA school? It seems like a waste of your time, money, and effort.

I understand something is keeping you from moving atm, but why not just wait until you are able to move. I believe youll be better of at the end if you skip PA school.

If you are looking for some sort of training and healthcare exposure before becoming a PA, you should look into cheaper, and faster alternatives. Paramedics make a decent salary, only need a year of school (which you should be able to work while going to school so no loss of wages), and you get a lot of autonomy if you work for an ambulance service. There are many other options, CNA, EMT, RN, LPN..

So again, why PA?

I'm still lost at the taking PA at UMass Dartmouth, when UMass Dartmouth does not have a PA program making this plan impossible. In fact, none of the UMass sites have a PA program. Perhaps he means undergrad? The closest PA program is at MCPHS Worcester, which would require going to Worcester in either case.

Guest pepitohonguito

It's just not a good plan to deliberately choose to be a PA while planning to later go back to med school. It's much more expensive and really not an efficient use of scarce healthcare training resources.

That said, I did it, but I didn't really know I COULD go to medical school and complete residency to become a fully trained physician until I was well into my 30s. When I started med school I had been an overemployed and (compared tp some) underpaid PA for 11 years. It was HARD. I struggled to learn how to learn again and it was scary and expensive. I'm not gonna lie, there were times of extreme frustration when the greatest motivation to keep putting one foot in front of the other and show up for one more day of a mind-numbing shadowing rotation where I got to do less as an MS3 than I had the past decade as a PA (or PA student!!) or study for one more test to get another 75 or 88 was to not have to come back to this board and admit failure. So I persevered.

Overall I'm very glad I did it but I don't recommend this path to most. I think the wiser choice is to just go to med school when you have an inkling that being a physician is what you REALLY want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thank you so much. I appreciate your message.

Archived