Curious - FP acceptance

Guest *PA*hopeful

Guest *PA*hopeful

Has anyone who is enrolled in the current MPAS program at Franklin Pierce been accepted with limited direct patient care experience? I hope to apply for the November 2011 start date and will have ER volunteer and shadowing experience "under my belt" by then, but is that enough? I have a high GPA, work in the for-profit medical technology field, and will have all the prerequisites by the time I apply. Any insight will be helpful.

I'm very excited to attend the info session tonight!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that they will consider "limited direct patient care experience". We have people in our class who have a wide range of experience and hands on patient care. People who have been paramedics for years, to people who have volunteered at hospitals. I would recommend getting as much done before you apply though, because I think a lot of other schools would like you to have some significant hours.

Guest *PA*hopeful

I gained some very good insight from the info session. I was comforted to hear about the diversity of professional backgrounds of students in the classroom. Any tips on finding PAs for shadowing experience? DHMC has been giving me the runaround, though the VA is trying to help connect me with someone there. I hope to shadow in various different settings, DHMC plus the smaller hospitals such as Alice Peck Day and Springfield Hospital and rural clinics to gain a broader perspective.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, new to this site and I found this thread. I am interviewing next Saturday for the November start date and looking for any advice that people can give about the program. It's my first of a 3 interviews that I have, but this is the top school on my list. Anyone have any insight on the types of questions (personal/professional) and the writing sample. I have talked to a lot of PA's at work and they all had different tips, now I'm trying to get some insight from people who have interviewed at the actual school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike Walsh

Just found out I'm on the waitlist! Better than being rejected...I'm very happy that the school has their stuff together and was able to let us know about their decision so soon. I emailed them right back and they let me know what my position on the waitlist was. I can't believe how long other schools (cough, Lock Haven) make applicants wait!

Congrats to those who were accepted!

I was/am on the waitlist to interview at Hofstra....never heard back since then and kind of stopped caring. Franklin Pierce seems to be interviewing until they fill the class, so if they don't fill the class at the next interview then you may get an email for the next interview after that. I think they took 7 people from the first interview and not sure how many they accepted at the 2nd interview (the one that I was at), but the class is 25 people so you have a good chance of getting an interview, even if they take an average of 7 per interview. Hope that makes some sense... I only had two weeks to prepare so you may get an email at the end of April for an interview Mid-May.

does anyone know how the waitlist ranking works? can you get "bumped" by people interviewing this weekend? also, they accepted 7 from the first interview and 9 from the second. there are 24 seats total so there are 8 seats left. i am thinking they will fill the class since they have been averaging 8 ppl each session. i am obv on the waitlist and wondering if my position will change drastically after this interview. also, has anyone on here been accepted and turned down their acceptance?

Archived