Disagreeing without being uncivil

• Administrator

Fellow PAs,

I would like your help trying to keep the tone of this board courteous.  I don't think we have to agree in order to be civil and cordial, and in fact I think the ability to be on good speaking terms with someone we vehemently disagree with is a hallmark of true professionalism.

As moderators, there's not a whole lot of tools at our disposal to keep things civil.  Deleting topics or posts or banning posters are very heavy-handed tactics.  Temporarily blocking users for a "time out" isn't a tool available to us--the site owner has reserved that for himself.

So please... police yourself.  Is there a gentler way to respond back?  Is there a way to reply that builds on commonalities, rather than divides over differences?  If so, please take a minute or two extra to use it.

We all have our own pet peeves, bad days, and foul moods.  If you've got one, please go to extra effort to make sure these things don't end up getting taken out on fellow board posters.  And if you see me (or any other moderator) doing it, point it out to us so we can better role model the behavior I'm asking us to adopt.

Because we are in the midst of political season once again, I think forums with any political leanings should be closed.

Things always get heated and no one will ever change anyone else's mind. Unless directly discussing health care policy that effects PAs, all other postings should be done away with.

I refuse to talk about politics at work and I think we can all remain better friends on here if certain things were not discussed.

I haven't seen any PAs here be anything but professional, even in their intense disagreements.  There are some Non-PAs who seem to come and say provocative things, but it's the internet, so it's expected.

If you don't want to engage in political discussions, then don't engage in political discussions.  No need to censor conversations just because you don't like them.  You DO have the freedom to not read them.

BTW - Our profession IS political.  

Thanks to the moderators for their work, especially keeping that Korean spammer away!!  

I haven't seen any PAs here be anything but professional, even in their intense disagreements.  There are some Non-PAs who seem to come and say provocative things, but it's the internet, so it's expected.

If you don't want to engage in political discussions, then don't engage in political discussions.  No need to censor conversations just because you don't like them.  You DO have the freedom to not read them.

BTW - Our profession IS political.  

Thanks to the moderators for their work, especially keeping that Korean spammer away!!  

I agree.  We have to be able to discuss issues, even controversial or political issues.  Wisdom, understanding, and learning can come from disagreements.  We can do it in a civil way, but I don't want to be censored.  Otherwise, this is just a mutual admiration society where we all agree with each on everything and rainbows shoot out our asses!

PS:  I googled for an image to punctuate my point.  I don't suggest googling "rainbow and asses" from your work computer.  Now, the boys in IT want to talk to me!

Amazing how quickly this thread became political, even though some of it is tongue-in-cheek. Then, again, healthcare is one of the most political subjects of this decade. I doubt it will become any less political under the next president. Moreover, we live in a country where divisiveness is the rule. Why would this forum be an exception? That would assume PAs are either of the same mind or able to accept opposite ideologies. I doubt that is true because I have read posts here by PAs who are committed conservatives and others by committed liberals. Proactive statements don't only come from non-PAs. I have received some pretty snide comments (from PAs) but those don't bother me. Rev Ronin's call for civility is well and good but maybe some participants need to develop a thicker skin. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

religion and politics are the two most important factors affecting peoples lives, they need to be and should be encouraged to be discussed in relevance to the PA profession. shunning talk about politics and religion does not make them go away, it actually complicates issues by leaving misunderstandings that cause bias. with that being said, there is no reason not to be civil.

strictly opinion mixed with facts

I think we have seen enough threads get out of hand over the years but they seem to be few and far between.  the Mods are excellent at keeping it all in check.  I just don't care for when they go on and on and nothing is resolved.  At some point we can agree to disagree whilst being civil about it.

G

Archived