I am planning to apply this cycle here are my low stats. Assuming I won't get in what to do to improve?

Hi I plan on applying this cycle around mid April when CASPA opens up. My stats aren't the best mainly just partying and not ready for the rigor during my freshman and sophomore year my my junior and senior year my gpa was stronger. 

Cum GPA: 3.08

Sci GPA: 2:74

If asks for natural science gpa = 2.88

GRE: will be taking it soon

30 hours shadowing a PA ( work alongside md and pas all the time so I already know what they do)

medical terminology certificate

bls cert

I graduated college and then took anatomy, physio, and microbio got Bs in them :/ Couple points away for an A in physio. During the 3 years I graduated from post college I worked mainly as a chiropractic assistant totaling about 2,500+ hours, and some other jobs too that are non science related just to support myself. The main ones in regards to healthcare would be the chiropractic assistant and also work as a business service representative at an urgent care where I work alongside pa and mds. I plan on applying very broadly and alot of schools since I have saved up some money. 

I know my chances are pretty slim, so if it doesn't work out this cycle I am either thinking about doing a masters or just take some more undergrad level courses and try to get all As to get a 3.0 science gpa. Those are my thoughts atm. Any advice or help would be appreciated. 

I think you need a 3.0 sGPA or higher for just about all schools to even be able to apply, I would focus on fixing that and it will also help your cGPA.  You will need to crush the GRE and get more shadowing/HCE to then help counteract the low GPA (if you already graduated it isn't gonna move much).  Looks like you've got some work cut out but I took 2 years to build my application before I was accepted.  Good luck!

Seems like you understand that you have an uphill battle coming up.

My only advice would be to look at the school's stats that you are interested in, see if you even make it close to their averages. If not, save the money for more classes. You'll need to take a lot of classes and get mainly As to bring up your science GPA.

Good luck to you.

I think you need a 3.0 sGPA or higher for just about all schools to even be able to apply, I would focus on fixing that and it will also help your cGPA.  You will need to crush the GRE and get more shadowing/HCE to then help counteract the low GPA (if you already graduated it isn't gonna move much).  Looks like you've got some work cut out but I took 2 years to build my application before I was accepted.  Good luck!

yeah the 3.0 science gpa requirement doesn't even let me meet the requirements. Should I just take a bunch of random science classes then at community college, I feel like whatever gets that 3.0 science gpa right? There are some schools that don't require the 3.0 science gpa? Errgghh anyone with low gpa that got accepted?

If you crush the GRE (325+) it will counteract the low sGPA, as long as you don't apply places like Drexel with hard 3.0 cutoffs. I'd focus more on quality HCE, the time "alongside" MD and PA as a business representative doesn't sound good. If there's more to it than that, be sure to write a killer statement explaining what you've done, and why you want to be a PA.

Im not sure if youll be eligible for a SMP (special masters program), but thats one method for premeds to redeem a poor UG GPA in order to prove to med school theyre capable of the courseload. Perhaps apply to a science grad program this year too incase you dont get accepted/interviewed due to your low sGPA. A high post grad GPA would counteract a low UG GPA. I dont think a high GRE will especially since many schools dont even require GRE

So I was calculating my gpa if the program asks for "natural science" it would make my science gpa around 2.88 and my cumulative is around 3.08. I know it still sucks, but man I was such a poor student my freshman and sophomore year I had a 2.15 cumulative gpa one of my sophomore years and another a 2.4 cumulative gpa which is reason why my gpa is so low. Looking back at it those science classes were really easy. Just by correcting those two semesters my gpa would shoot up to 3.2 or 3.3 easily. I was a young 18 to 19 year old kid who went to a good university for college living on his own and started goofing off and partying, I would also cram and study last minute mainly my freshman year, but I have learned my lesson. 

Theres a couple classes I want to retake, but I don't live anywhere near my old uni before, could retake at a different school and boost up my gpa? Would you recommend me to just take community college classes or shell out some money for classes at a university? Also does it really matter what science classes I take even if it puts up my gpa into 3.0 range? 

Honestly, save your money and fix your app now before even trying to apply.  Take more classes, take the GRE, do more shadowing, get more widely accepted HCE then worry about applying.  

A dream and a prayer aren't enough to get in.  Wanting it isn't going to get your app looked at.  Use your money and time wisely now instead of hoping you might get in (sorry, it's not looking good) and apply once your app is competitive.

Theres a couple classes I want to retake, but I don't live anywhere near my old uni before, could retake at a different school and boost up my gpa? Would you recommend me to just take community college classes or shell out some money for classes at a university? Also does it really matter what science classes I take even if it puts up my gpa into 3.0 range? 

You can retake classes at any accredited institution. It will boost your GPA if you achieve a higher grade, however, CASPA averages GPAs instead of replacing them so the boost wouldn't be as much as you expect. There are PA programs out there that take grade replacement (WesternU does) so instead of averaging, your retakes will replace the grade in general. I would recommend taking classes at a CC because its cheaper and I really don't think it matters that much in regards to prestige. You should take science classes that are required or recommended by the programs youre interested in. Almost all programs have a required list of prereqs and a recommended list as well. 

I agree with MT2PA, you should take the next 2 years to properly prepare your application. 

I agree with the above. Don't waste the time, money, and aggravation of applying this cycle when your stats are just below the threshold that you may be round-filed before anyone even reviews your application. Spend that time, money, and energy getting your overall AND science GPA up. Technically anything that boosts your GPA is good, but you don't want to take grey-area science classes that CASPA might verify as non-science. Also know that CASPA calculates a BCP GPA (biology, chemistry, and physics) which the schools are very interested in so you want to make sure that stat is in good shape.

Always apply and always improve your application. I was accepted with a 2.93 cGPA on a year where I wasnt trying to get in as I was focusing on my HCE and GPA. I had only applied to 2 programs where I saw there was potential to gaining an interview and sure enough I was accepted.

When I say apply, I mean apply to a few select schools in which you meet their prerequisites and qualify to be interviewed at. This does not mean apply to 10+ schools across the country.

But again, you keep moving forward and never close the door for potential opportunity.

Archived