Medical Equipment

Feel free to point me to a previous thread if one exists.

I have a list of supplies I'm required to buy so I'm not so worried about what to get or what brand/model (though suggestions are welcome!) but I am looking for suggestions of good websites to find such items (stethoscope, otoscope, etc).  My school has given me a short list and I'd just like to do a little price comparison but I'm unfamiliar with where to look.  So, where are the best places to buy quality medical equipment?

I don't know if this applies to you, but just a heads up my school pretty much told us not to buy anything as they will have a bulk discount vendor on campus like the first or second day of class.

Yea we've already gotten our info and our 'bulk order' isn't really much of a discount it's more of a convenience.

Littman cardiology III will meet your needs and is high quality. Buy new... its not that much money and then you will have the warranty and brand new tubing and earpieces. You can buy these all over the internet. I bought mine on a nursing supply website and it had free shipping and free engraving. Don't spend money on engraving- the letters are small and most people won't even notice your name is on it if you leave it behind somewhere. 

As for otoscope/ophthalmoscope- buy used on eBay. There is absolutely no need for a brand new set. You will probably get rid of it by graduation anyway.

Buy a sturdy, lightweight bag to keep your medical supplies in.  Mark it with something distinctive enough to grab quickly if it happens to be in a pile with your classmates' medical bags (as you might for your luggage in airport baggage claim carousels).

I second the comments about the stethoscope.  It probably wouldn't hurt to get an ergonomic, mid-level model for the blood pressure cuff, just so it holds up through the year, and you don't have to deal with it falling apart as you learn to use it.

I am partial to sturdy, stiff cardboard backed stenography pads for history taking.  They are just the right size for history taking.  Those mock clinical exams are nerve wrecking, and having a pad that fits nicely in your hand as it shakes furiously helps.

Finally, buy a good set of dry erase markers -- the campus dry erase boards tend not to be well stocked, and they are great for study sessions.  

• 2 months later...

Hello! there are plenty of places on the Internet where you can easily find all kinds of medical equipment, including those that you have listed here .

Try browsing some medical equipment trading platforms - 'http://bimedis.com/' , 'http://www.medwow.com/' 'https://www.dotmed.com/'. As long as i know, there are other ones that are very popular, so feel free to search internet on your own.

I wish you good luck in finding the required equipment

Talk to the students in the class ahead of you. I could have gotten away with a stethoscope and a pen light for the entire didactic year. Instead ended up with another $500 in equipment that I really didn't need

Yea that's the rumor I'm hearing, too, but my program apparently checks to make sure you have the expensive stuff a few times despite rarely using it.  (It's to practice on your own time, apparently).  Surprised more graduating students weren't selling their stuff to make some money back on it - I likely will be in a few years.

I put money into my littman cardiology III stethoscope and bought a mdf sphygmomanometer (on jet.com---good prices and also give you a discount on first order, I think 15%) but everything else I got on eBay (used Reister otoscope/ophthalmoscope), etc. my class spent $700, I spent $560

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived