Hospitalist Schedule

Hey! I was wondering if some hospitalist PA's out there wouldn't mind sharing their schedule? I've seen that 7 on 7 off can be typical for this specialty, but was wondering what other sorts of variations there are. I have an interest in internal medicine and enjoy working in a hospital setting, so just trying to gather as much information as I can. Thank you in advance!

6-12.5's/2 weeks... as in I can do 4 one week and 2 the next, 3 and 3, etc... great for vacation time as sometimes I can frontload one pay period and back load the next essentially getting 10 or 11 off in a row without taking a vacation day... grass is always greener though, 13h shifts wear on you after a while

I typically work 6-7 12hr shifts per pay period, with one weekend a month and four nights per month. Like lov2xlr8 said, there is a lot of room for flexibility in this kind of schedule. I almost never need to take vacation for anything less than 7 days off. The last time I had 10 days off in a row I took two days of PTO, and that was just because I didn't feel like working extra before my trip.

Something to keep in mind about offers with a 7on/7off schedule is definitely PTO. I see a lot of people getting offers with no or extremely limited PTO, with the expectation that you are taking your vacations on the week you're scheduled off. That means you end up working a lot more actual hours than someone with a schedule like mine. I get 33 days of vacation per year. If I used all of it I would be working about 1684 hours, while someone working 7on/7off with no PTO would be working 2184 actual hours. That's an extra 41 days per year. Gross.

I did 7 12's per 2 weeks.  Generally 3 shifts one week/4 shifts one week.  I can tell you that doing all your days in a row is the most ideal for patient care for most.  If days are broken up then you don't have the continuity of care with the patient.  If you have just one other provider you switch back and forth with then it would probably be okay.  On the other hand if I was off 3-4 days they would send a different NP/PA each day from another hospital to cover me.  It was awful to come back and clean up the mess of multiple providers. Providers who only see a patient one day may have the habit of not making any changes or doing a discharge because "the next provider can just do it". 

Sixteen 10s starting early in the morning. Anywhere from 3 to 6 in a row. One or two evening and one or two nights a month. More rounding than admission. Usually work half the weekends of a month.

Yep for 7 on 7 off make sure you are well paid per above post. I have seen that true too for jobs out there (no PTO and pay not appropriately higher - unfair for providers.)

• 2 weeks later...

I work 7 on 7 off.  Among my colleagues, I've seen mixed reviews.  Some people get burned out on their weeks on and bored on their weeks off.  Others maintain a lot of energy through their week on and love having vacations every other week. 

How long are your shifts? Is the entire time in the hospital or is part of the shift really just carrying the pager?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone here have experience with 4 on/3off and then 3on/4off schedule? I currently work 7 on/7off. The pa with the most seniority wants to do this schedule. I feel like this schedule screw one person to work all the weekends..

How would it do that, exactly? You need to determine how many people are in your group. If there are five of you and you need one person per weekend, then your schedule should be 1:5 weekends. If you build the schedule based on weekend/night/holiday fairness first, then throw in peoples' PTO and trip requests, there is no reason why "one person" would ever be working all the weekends. It will never end up being straight 3-4, 4-3. You will always have occasional 2-day work-weeks or week-long absences to even things out.

Now, if there are only two people in your group a 4-3, 3-4 schedule will probably not work well.

How would it do that, exactly? You need to determine how many people are in your group. If there are five of you and you need one person per weekend, then your schedule should be 1:5 weekends. If you build the schedule based on weekend/night/holiday fairness first, then throw in peoples' PTO and trip requests, there is no reason why "one person" would ever be working all the weekends. It will never end up being straight 3-4, 4-3. You will always have occasional 2-day work-weeks or week-long absences to even things out.

Now, if there are only two people in your group a 4-3, 3-4 schedule will probably not work well.

There are only 2 of us.

Sixteen 10s starting early in the morning. Anywhere from 3 to 6 in a row. One or two evening and one or two nights a month. More rounding than admission. Usually work half the weekends of a month.

Yep for 7 on 7 off make sure you are well paid per above post. I have seen that true too for jobs out there (no PTO and pay not appropriately higher - unfair for providers.)

I spoke to someone the other day who was offering a 7 on 7 off schedule and the pay was 95K. This was for inpatient cardiology. After I choked on my coffee and let them know I thought it was a bit low they said they would get back to me if there was wiggle room. I was thinking 120-130 K or am I way off? 

I spoke to someone the other day who was offering a 7 on 7 off schedule and the pay was 95K. This was for inpatient cardiology. After I choked on my coffee and let them know I thought it was a bit low they said they would get back to me if there was wiggle room. I was thinking 120-130 K or am I way off?

I took a Nocturnist job for 85k 7on/7off when I first got out of school to give perspective. Not my best decision in life...

I know up north 100k is starring pay for new grads. I would say at minimum shoot for 115k that puts it at about 55 an hr.

Archived