Physician Assistant Owned Urgent Care New Jersey

I am interested in opening an Urgent Care in NJ.  It would be a cash only Urgent Care, as I do not have the patience to deal with the insurance companies.  Several places I've worked I've witnessed how painful they make it for business owners by not paying them.  But I digress...

One of the problems I find is that a PA cannot own an Urgent Care in NJ.  A Physician must own 51% of the corporation, so it leaves me in a pickle.  Just curious if anyone out there has opened an Urgent Care in a state where they are not allowed to own it?  Perhaps there is an angle I haven't thought of?

Some thoughts I have had are Incorporate and have the Physician own the majority (51%), and pay them to be the head of the corporation, sign charts, etc  even though I am running it.  Alternatively, how about a sole proprietorship where I don't incorporate?  I'd have alot more risk, but if there is no corporation does that mean I just hire a supervising physician, they sign the charts, and call it a day?  

I apologize for my naiveness in this area but I appreciate any input from those who've had experience with owning a PA practice.  It's been my dream for a long time to be the captain of my own ship, but most of family resides in NJ so leaving this state to practice elsewhere isn't an option right now.

Thank you...

This issue came up a few times when I was involved with NJSSPA a while back. I am not sure anyone ever pulled it off. The level of complexity and bureaucratic red tape involved in doing even simple things in NJ scares away most rational people.

I think part of the issue was that the rules and regs that you could potentially run afoul of are housed in many different places - there are regulations for healthcare, healthcare facilities, running a business, etc. that are spread across several agencies. You might want an attorney to look things over before you invest a lot of effort. With the big update to our practice legislation that just passed, it is possible the environment might rapidly improve. (Thanks NJSSPA!!!)

Here is one of my favorite videos about how a cash and carry practice operates:

I owned a Medical Weight Loss clinic (all cash) in CT for eight years with phenomenal success. The law is different here. I simple hired a medical director to come in once a week and review charts. Like Urgent Care clinics, the competition got out of control and I closed. I still do weight loss in my current position at a family practice, and we take insurance here.  Even still, this clinic only sees a fraction of the patients I saw. I had seventeen employees, five PAs, and we saw 90 patients per day. Those were the days!

Archived