MEDEX Bach/Masters Pros and Cons

Hey all! I was hoping someone could give me a little insight as to the pros and cons of each program. I am from Seattle and applied to a lot of schools this year without a single interview....I didn't apply to MEDEX because I didn't want to retake my microbio class. However, as I read forums and reserach, I feel like the MEDEX is the best fit for me, so I am retaking my micro in preparation to apply 2016/2017 cycle. Anyways, I have a masters of science recently completed (2014) and am wondering if I should apply to the bachelors or masters. Which one is more competetive (I know they both are extremely competetive) but would like to apply to the program where I have the best chance of getting in (since we cannot apply to both). Lastly, if anyone has any information about student loans, and how they were able to obtain for a second bachelors that would be awesome! I know this is long but hope to hear from some peeps! Thanks!  

MEDEX didn't offer the masters degree when I wen there so I can't speak to that.

As far as loans. I had a BA when I applied so I was considered a post bach working of a second bachelors. The fed loans are capped, so you can only borrow so much for a bachelors degree(s). I haven't checked but I would imagine its the same for someone holding a masters degree. I would check to see if you have reached your loan amount limit with the feds first, if not use that money first.

there are several private student loans you could apply for when the time comes: wells fargo med cap, SOFI, and several others. I'm sure a quick google search would net you multiple, then its just a matter of deciding who you want to give your money to. Keep in mind private student loans tend to have a higher interest rate.

Lastly, take out the minimum amount of loans possible. remember they are just that, loans and will need to be repaid.

Hop this helps.    

There are more open spots for the MCHS as opposed to the BCHS, on the other hand more people apply for the MCHS so it's kind of a wash.  In regards to obtaining loans, that's a little more difficult.  I personally didn't have a similar situation but a young lady I was dating while in school did, and she had quite a rough time, little to no support from the feds, had a decent amount of success with private loans though.  Could look at the BCHS option as being cheaper!

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I think rather than thinking about which program provides the best chances, think about which of the two programs is the best fit for you.  You should not base your application choice on how easy it is to get in.  Base your choice on a multitude of factors.  Otherwise, your application will present as naive, or insincere, and your chances of getting in will be hurt.

I am a second year Master's level student.  We are required to do more writing (i.e. we are often required to write longer papers or use more references), produce a Capstone project, and take extra courses on academic research.  There is also one extra quarter of work, during the second quarter.  If you have a MS degree already, from a rigorous academic program, these might be areas where you can shine.

Our Tacoma counterparts are a neat crew.  Many of them have military experience (this is intentional), and they tend to have a no nonsense approach to their work as PAs.  Part of the reason that MEDEX still has a bachelor's level program has to do with their commitment to the armed forces, and is in keeping with the history of the PA profession.  Assembling a bachelor's degree from online coursework is very, very tough.  Requiring that from military applicants would bar a lot of people with really awesome experience (e.g. combat medics) from becoming PAs.  If you have military experience, this might be the way to go.

Good luck, and I hope you figure it all out.

Archived