Prerequisite Ambiguity

Hi everyone! This is my first post (it seems pretty appropriate, right?). Looking at most PA school prerequisites, 'General Biology I and General Biology II." is listed as a requirement. Next May, I will be graduating with a degree in Nutrition and Dietetics, with a Biology minor. The classes that are considered introductory at my university are Zoology and Botany; we don't have general biology courses, but these two courses explain the general introductory principles of Biology. What I am asking is has anyone else had an issue with courses that just do not fit the schools requirements name wise, but most likely fit the learning outcomes? Some schools also require 1 course of organic chemistry, but my nutrition degree requires me to take a 100 level course of 'Organic and Biochemistry' (with an introductory to biochemistry to follow). Should I look into taking an ochem and general biology series after graduation to cover my bases before applying? 

I hope this isn't too crazy of a block to read. ;)

EDIT: I must add, that I also have courses in cellular biology, invertebrate zoology and evolution which are all 300-400 level courses. Not sure how relevant the two latter ones may be. 

You'll probably have to contact each school directly, attaching a link to the course description and have them evaluate the course.

Many programs will not take zoology. However, if it is truly a gen bio course, then you should be fine once you contact each school directly and save their response in case you have any issues later on. 

I had an somewhat similar issue with class names, where my a couple of my bio classed had a lab, but the lab was not listed on the transcript. The lab was a required prerequisite, so I had to go to the registrar and have them issue me a letter on school letterhead with a seal that I could submit to CASPA so that I could list the lab in my completed coursework. It wasn't too tough in the end, but important so I could check all the boxes and make it through to an interview.

It's interesting that medical school prereqs usually state "Two semesters of general biology (or zoology) with lab" but I don't recall ever seeing similar for PA school. It sounds like you'll have to do some explaining to do but that difficult when applying through CASPA and being just a number. If you're interested in a particular PA program I'd make an appointment to meet with their dean or admissions chair in order to introduce yourself and bring this up. Bring with you the course syllabi and anything else from the college indicating the courses you took at the same as general bio.

You may be asked to supply syllabi to prove what the course actually covered.  I'm not sure about the biology req (your cell bio may count?), but you will definitely need to take an actual ochem class.  What you described (a 100 level course ocher/biochem) will probably be considered a survey course.

Thank you, all! I figured the Organic and Biochemistry course would not count. I know one school I looked into had a 'course equivalency' document that compared their courses with other schools and my small school was listed on there. It definitely makes it easier, but I haven't noticed that on any other PA school site. That school counted Zoology and Cell Biology as Biology I and II. Let's hope that's a trend!

You'll probably have to contact each school directly, attaching a link to the course description and have them evaluate the course.

Many programs will not take zoology. However, if it is truly a gen bio course, then you should be fine once you contact each school directly and save their response in case you have any issues later on.

I had an somewhat similar issue with class names, where my a couple of my bio classed had a lab, but the lab was not listed on the transcript. The lab was a required prerequisite, so I had to go to the registrar and have them issue me a letter on school letterhead with a seal that I could submit to CASPA so that I could list the lab in my completed coursework. It wasn't too tough in the end, but important so I could check all the boxes and make it through to an interview.

So, I'll have to do that for my Chem and A&P classes then? They have labs that count as 40% of the grade but we get only one letter grade for the course. I thought this was standard. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So, I'll have to do that for my Chem and A&P classes then? They have labs that count as 40% of the grade but we get only one letter grade for the course. I thought this was standard. Ugh.

Not necessarily.  The key is whether or not it's on the transcript.  I had several courses like that but my school listed the lab with it as 0 credits to show that it was a co-req and was taken.  

• 2 months later...

Not necessarily. The key is whether or not it's on the transcript. I had several courses like that but my school listed the lab with it as 0 credits to show that it was a co-req and was taken.

Thanks! I don't have an official transcript from them yet, but my unofficial does not show the lab separately. ???? My lecture was weighted at 60% of my grade and lab the other 40%. I imagine I might need to submit a syllabus. So, I'll add it to the list of questions to ask the school. ????

• 2 weeks later...

No, you won't have to do that even if the lab is not explicitly labeled. I could be wrong, but I have a strong feeling this person took it upon themselves to acquire the letter for the sake of being thorough. I've never heard of a school requiring a letter like that. If the course is 4+ credits, the lab is implied even if not in the title. I had no issues and I applied to a pretty large variety of schools. If you happen to apply to a school who questions this, simply showing them the course schedule + course description should be more than sufficient.

It varies from school to school. For instance Quinnipiac requires you to submit course descriptions for a&p1 and 2, along with gen chem 1, and orgo 1. They have it under their documents tab on caspa. It seems to be the exception though that programs require this as cop to pa said it's usually assumed in a 4+ credit course.

Archived