PACShrink

Production based compensation (Split)

Just curious what a 'normal' split is.

I was told by my employer that 56% is pretty standard.

I worked for them for 1 year on salary with:

They paid-Malpractice (Occurrence Policy with maximum coverage), DEA and state license fee paid, 15 PTO days, 5 Paid Sick Days, 5 CME days and $2,000 budget.

They offered me a straight % and:

160 hours time off w/o pay, 3 CME days w/o pay, Group life insurance policy (50K), disability (Short and long term).

6 months into the production year they cancelled the disability policy and increased the split to 58%

Still, I am a W-2 Employee (They pay 7% of FICA).

Does this sound pretty standard?

What is an average monthly production?

thanks in advance..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By SoCal_PA
      The last poll in Jan 2017 had 215 responses. Time for round 2. Votes are anonymous. 

Select your GROSS (before taxes and other deductions) income which includes your base pay plus bonuses. Again, this is as informal as it gets. We all know years in practice and location play a huge impact on these numbers. 

***EDIT: I edited the poll in order to add more options at the top end. As of writing this, there were 3 people who selected " >$180k" which is now the option "$180k-190k"
    • By knwandrick
      Hello! I'm a new grad and recently received a job offer and contract. I wanted to see what other PAs thought and things I should negotiate since this is my first experience with this.
      Position is with a spine surgery practice in Texas:
      - Salary $90K with yearly bonus "at discretion of CEO." This seems a little low, but hard to negotiate as I have no experience.
      - 2 weeks paid vacation - In my interview they also stated that major holidays were off as well. Need to clarify if these would be paid or not. Is this reasonable time off or too little?
      - 5 days sick leave with doctor's note
      - CME allowance of $2500. They stated in interview that I also would have 5 days for CME, so I need to clarify this with my contract and whether they are paid or not and have this included in writing.
      - Malpractice insurance is provided "consistent with reasonable surgical physician assistant coverage." Obviously need to clarify whether occurrence or claims maid. And tail or not.
      - Individual health insurance covered by employer. Family health insurance covered by employee. I only need coverage for myself, so this sounded like a good deal to me.
      Other than above, I also wanted feedback on my hours. My schedule is described as up to 5 days a week but then later says that 5 days is routine and more days as agreed by PA and physician as needed. Hours may or may not extend past 10 hours per day with workload not to exceed 80 hours a week. There is no mention of call but when discussed they said I should "rarely" be on call. Obviously I'm not trying to get tricked into working 80 hours a week when the job was described as a M-F position. What is the best way to ask that this is clarified and protect myself from being exploited?
      Appreciate all of your feedback! Thank you!
    • By KrystalB
      I’m a PA with 11+ years of Ortho experience working in south Florida.  I always had the impression that I’d be making 150k by the time I was 10 years out and find myself only making 120k at 11 years out ($123,600 at 12 years if I get my 3% raise in October). 
      My question to Ortho PA’s with 10+ years of experience practicing in south Florida is: what do you make? What are your hours? Do you work for a private practice or a hospital? 
      I’m wondering if working for a private practice is the way to make better money...
      FYI- I work for a hospital physician group where all PA’s and surgeons are employees of the hospital. I work 40-45 hours each week with no call or weekends.  Benefits include 22 days off for vaca/sick/CME in addition to 7 holidays; 403-b with matching up to a certain number; percentage of health insurance covered; short term disability; licensure and NCCPA dues covered. 
      My autonomy is limited. All the patients I see are during my doc’s office hours and are billed under the doctor’s credentials (my doc and I see around 6k patients per year).  I am not able to see what my collections for surgery are. 
      I keep specifying south Florida because we have a lot of PA schools and we have a high transplant rate (People want to move here to work) so I suspect the new grads and transplants drive the market price for a PA down... not sure.  Maybe I’m just working in the wrong place?
      thanks to all for reading this far ?
    • By jbs
      Hi All,
      Does anyone have any experience with being compensated with RVU alone?  Our physician staffing firm is contemplating straight RVU compensation.
      We have been hourly since the beginning, but recently there has been a lot of talk about going to RVU w/o a base salary just like our supervising ED Docs.
      Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
      JBS

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More