If they feel they can field appropriate candidates locally, then from their perspective there's no incentive to pay travel expenses for an out-of-town candidate. Perhaps a Skype interview will help you both decide if the opportunity is worth pursuing.

If you are planning to relocate to a target area, then you could try to cluster interviews together, and take a single trip (at your expense). Might be worth it, if you are set on living there, and want to make arrangements in advance.

Anecdotally, I've noticed that places in highly desirable geographic locations expect that if you want to work in that particular area you'll pay out of pocket to get yourself to them for the interview process.  Coincidentally, I've also noticed that these same places don't always offer the best salary or benefits package because "... being in this geographic region and all it has to offer is an added benefit...".

While I don't think being on your own to get to the interview location is the norm industry wide I do think, based on my experience and that of friends, there is a lot of variability depending on where a candidate is looking for a job.

Archived