Which imaging study to order?

Does anyone know of some kind of guide (website, book, etc.) or have any basic suggestions on how to determine what imaging study to order for a given presentation?

Every section of my studies involves imaging studies, and the general approach seems to be that we learn what imaging study to order by rote memorization. There has got to be a set of general principles (e.g. ultrasound is good for tissues with lots of interface that are not surrounded by bone) that would make this process easier, but the informational resources on imaging are mostly focused on interpreting images rather than ordering them. Anyone have any good suggestions?

The radiologists in my hospital put together a guide for us and it is helpful.  DO you have a local hospital that you could call and see if they have such a resource? 

This is more nuanced than you are led to believe in PA school. One simple guide is hard to make. Below is the best and made by radiology:

http://www.acr.org/Quality-Safety/Appropriateness-Criteria

Search what you're looking for, pull up the pdf, and it well tell you how appropriate each test is for a certain screening/finding/diagnosis.

this can vary between pts as well. some studies that would work well for a thin person wouldn't work well for an obese person and vis versa. some anatomy can be visualized using multiple types of studies. the appendix for example(depending on the given pt) can be seen by u/s, CT, or mri. many major peds ctrs are going to limited mri rlq in kids to avoid the radiation of ct. some of the really forward thinking peds surgeons now actually just examine kids, look at labs, and stick a scope in their belly. if the appy is nl, they leave it alone. if inflamed, they remove it.

Does anyone know of some kind of guide (website, book, etc.) or have any basic suggestions on how to determine what imaging study to order for a given presentation?

Every section of my studies involves imaging studies, and the general approach seems to be that we learn what imaging study to order by rote memorization. There has got to be a set of general principles (e.g. ultrasound is good for tissues with lots of interface that are not surrounded by bone) that would make this process easier, but the informational resources on imaging are mostly focused on interpreting images rather than ordering them. Anyone have any good suggestions?

you need to understand the testing modalities in order to apply the most beneficial test for a given situation. knowing the limitations, risks, benefits, specificity, and sensitivity are a start. this is learned after years of study and practicing. i recommend reading up on just one at a time and learning proper application. There is no simple answer nor is there only one correct modality for a given situation. there is a best modality

You COULD just order a test and then have the tech call you back and say "this is what the radiologist says you need to order".  Obviously said, tongue-in-cheek.  I think this is a topic that can be quite confusing to many folks.  LT, your link isn't available.

I know that you were joking but what you describe actually happens very frequently. That is one of the most obnoxious things that a provider can do and is incredibly unprofessional. Would you just order a random antibiotic and hope that the pharmacist calls you to make the correction? Techs are already eyeball deep in screwed up orders, inadequate IV's, allergies, kidney problems, etc, and spend 80% of their time chasing down providers so they don't kill their patients.

To the original poster: If unsure, call the radiology tech and ask them what you should order. Providers who do this are always appreciated by the techs and will not be forgotten when a case needs to be expedited.

learningradiology.com might be of some use to you

Archived