ER Groups

EM staffing companies come is various sizes.  The large national ones include TeamHealth and EMCare.  There are some large regoinal ones like EMP.  Then there are smaller ones that staff individual hospitals or local hospital groups.  The group level tends to set things like overall HR issues like benefits, 401K, etc.  Even with the large groups wages & hours are usually facility dependent.  The same tends to go for "better for PA's" - as things like relationship with the docs, scope of practice, etc. is very facility dependent.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a new-er grad working for a local group, and I love the experience so far. From my perspective the biggest pros are that the docs are used to working with PAs and that the pay and benefits are great. The biggest cons are the huge emphasis on number of patients seen (private company = more emphasis on profit margins), which can be difficult for new grads. I have heard good things about EMCare and CEP in my area, but the pay is significantly less than the slightly smaller companies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Slight thread bump...

Any thoughts overall on working for a large CMG (e.g. EMCare, EMP) compared to working for a smaller SDG?  This is a frequent topic on SDN and with organizations like AAEM, and I can see the differences for a physician.  Unless you're part of the minuscule amount of groups who offer PA's partnership, is there much difference in working for a big "corporate" group rather than a small independent group?

Canal,

The group, whether large national or small, sets some policies.  However, much more is set locally - usually at the facility level.  This includes key things like hourly rate, scope of practice, relationship with attendings.  So, my advice is to get specific offers, talk to folks who've worked at the sites for > 2-3 years, and then decide.  There is plenty of change in emergency medicine: change in docs, change in which group has the contract for a facility, change in patient census leading to increased or decreased hours.  So, you'll probably change employers, facilities, etc. many times in your career - and some times the change in facility and employer aren't linked.

Archived