Residency with baby on the way

Hey PA world,

So here's the story. I'm a second year PA student and I'll be applying to a handful of EM residency programs. My wife's pregnant and depending on which program you look at, she'll be delivering somewhere around any given start date. I was wondering if anyone had any particular advice on how to handle a newborn while doing a residency. Am I completely crazy or is this completely doable? 

• Administrator

Will your wife divorce you if you are not home more than 10 waking hours per week and completely unable to help in the middle of the night?  If not, will it still permanently damage your relationship such that you will be paying for it for years?

(Oh, and it goes without saying: can you live with yourself if you need to short them the time and attention she and your new baby deserve?)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree w all of the above. I looked into EM residencies, they are scattered all across the country...are you guys planning to move to wherever you get accepted? And would you have family within traveling distance of any of them?

I only have experience dealing w a new baby in a new state while husband was deployed. It's rough but can be done. Best of luck to you guys.

Archived