Hi,

I am a new graduate in the northern VA/MD area (DC suburbs) and completed a 4 week derm rotation during clinicals. I received an offer recently and want to see how it compares to other derm PAs, and what I should negotiate for... Based on the recent AAPA salary report, a PA with 0-1 years of experience makes $90,000 in the 75% and $100,000 in the 90%, not including bonus. I would expect this area to make in 90% since it serves several of the "richest counties in the U.S." 

• 78,000 base salary, reassessed after 5 months and again at one year (will shadow for first ~3 months)
  • 5 days per week, 9-5
  • Bonus- 20% after 300,000 generated
  • eligibility for health insurance after 3 months
  • $3000 CME annually
  • License fees paid
  • $50 tax free cell phone/month
  • 3 week paid vacation--- including sick/vacation/CME
  • Noncompete for 2 years after employment of 5 mile radius
  • Payment of your employer taxes and malpractice insurance premiums by the practice.

To compare, I recently got offered a family med offer also, paying $78,000 for first 3 months, then $80,000 with $2,000 CME, 3 weeks vacation, 1 week CME, 6 days sick leave, employer contributed health insurance, and covered dental insurance...

I know the salary is low, based on the area, even if I am shadowing/training for first few months. What should I renegotiate? I really want to work in dermatology and know that I need the experience to break into the field.

Looks pretty decent to me. If you collect 700k for the practice in one year, which is I think a reasonable number after a couple years, that will get you 20% of 700-300k, or 20% of 400k = 80k. add this to your 78k salary to get 158k. 

If anything, I'd try to increase the base salary a bit. And of course training should be paid.

Thanks everyone for the input. To update, I received another offer from a derm in northern VA for $85,000 for first 3 months, $90,000 after that. Benefits include health insurance (paid 50/50 by employer/employee), 2 weeks vacation, 10 sick days, CME approved by doctor, and 15% bonus after 350,000 in collections. 

• Upvote 1

That one sounds pretty good.

I have my first interview this weekend with a Derm. Any tips? I'm trying to come prepared with data and numbers to back-up my negotiations, but I'm not sure what to expect. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Brown
      Hi everyone,
      In my myriad Google searches, I seem to have found the answer, but I want to confirm this before I play the waiting game.  I have applied for state licensure in CA, but I am still waiting on approval. Can I apply for my DEA before the license comes through? The answer seems to be no, that I must be fully licensed before I even begin my application for a DEA.
      Anyone have any light to shed on this? Any way for me to speed up the waiting game?
      Thanks much!
    • By ChristineB
      Hi everyone!
      I am a graduating PA and am currently looking for outpatient jobs, particularly in primary care. From what I have heard and seen, many primary care clinics are going through hiring freezes, and the few positions I have seen have required 2-5 years of experience. I have applied to them anyway in case they take a look at my CV and consider me, but they have either not contacted me or told me that I do not have enough experience.
      I had a good first and second interview for an endocrine PA position. I do like endocrine, however I believe at least 90% of my time will involve working only on diabetes management. If I am offered this position--or if I am offered a position in another specialty that I do not see myself in long-term--should I take it to get experience (and a paycheck)? Should I wait it out hoping for a primary care position? If I take a specialty position will I be less desirable as a future applicant for primary care positions? The job market is difficult, generally, for any new grads, but the pandemic seems to have made things a bit harder as well. 
    • By kdonlon12
      Hi - I am a new graduate who passed the PANCE June 5th. I am looking for jobs in the NY/NJ area and spend each day looking at the job boards. Are there any other suggestions for where to search out jobs? I am interested in many fields- excluding surgery. I just want to be able to get a job and get some experience so I can become more competitive. With COVID19 hitting this area so hard, I know why it is difficult at this time but would like any advice I can get (as well as any possible leads!).
      Thank you for your time.
    • By Natalie6190
      Here are the details of my offer. There really wasn’t much to it and I have no idea where to start with negotiations and what I need to bring up. My concern is that the salary is a little on the low side. Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Details include: 
      92k salary 
      24 days PTO 
      5 days CME
      2k CME 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More