Helpful Advice for Future(?) PA ?

Hello, I am currently a high school junior who has a deep desire to become a PA someday. So far, I landed an internship at a local clinic shadowing 5 hours a week and plan to begin ride alongs/acquire EMT certification in the spring. My current GPA for both freshman and sophomore year is around 95. I've already began looking at PA schools and colleges around me. As far as confidence goes, I'm relatively nervous about "messing up" if I were to become a PA.

Overall, I'm just wondering what advice you have if you could write a letter with PA advice to your old high school self...Class courses, confidence advice, good books to read, etc. Thanks in advance! 

First off good luck with your journey. You are obviously off to a great start and your parents must be very proud of you. Some people are going to tell you to think long and hard about PA versus MD given your age and that's a fair suggestion. However, what I would tell my high school self is the only way to find purpose in this world is through helping other people. So I'd recommend find ways to serve your community, especially non-medically. I personally worked with at risk youth and it was the most formative experience of my life. Again good luck and be sure to check out the pre-pa subform. They have a lot of great resources for those working to get into PA school.

Thank you! That is great advice to volunteer non-medically as well, I'll look into joining my local soup kitchen. I'm definitely going to keep my options open as far as Dr/PA since I still have time to decide! Thank you for the advice!

Don't just volunteer anywhere. Volunteer in a position that you're interested in, it will make the learning experience that more valuable. 

Good luck with your journey!

I was much like you back in high school. I was laser focused on becoming a PA. I had 4.0 grades, shadowed, volunteered, etc. I even graduated college a year early, hoping to become a PA that much faster. My first application round, I got interviews at every place I applied, but I was eventually rejected from each school. Completely devastated, I ended up taking a temporary job in another field, and wound up working in that industry (not medical related) for 7 years. In the meantime, I was an EMT and eventually reapplied to PA school, was accepted and will be starting this July, 8 years after I initially applied.

I tell you all of this to pass along the BIGGEST lesson I learned--I was so focused on doing the "right" things that I missed possibly the most important component that I feel will make me the best PA I can be--experience. I made it my mission through high school and college to complete the tasks that I knew would look good on paper. Volunteering? Check. Shadowing? Check. Healthcare experience? Check. Teaching internships? Check. etc, etc. However, looking back, when it came interview time, I now see what I was missing--depth. I survived a near fatal car accident at age 14 that served as the catalyst for my interest in medicine. Made for a great personal statement, but I lacked maturity and depth as a person.

As Diggy said above, volunteer in an area/position that INTERESTS you. I've spent the last 7 years gaining life experience. I've traveled, pursued other interests, gotten a master's degree and met a lot of wonderful people. However, what I learned the most was what I saw in those around me and in myself. I saw a wide range of human emotions, and have been in a variety of situations that have helped me learn about others in ways that I feel will make me an effective PA. I've had to rely on my skills and strength to get through challenges, which has made me a more confident person.

Do you have to take a gigantic break from the world of medicine like I did and embark on some soul searching journey? Absolutely not. You are taking great steps toward achieving your goal. That being said, learn from my mistake. Take time now, while in high school and as you begin college to make yourself a well-rounded individual. Sounds cliche, but it's true.

A long winded post, but if I could go back and tell myself one thing in high school as I looked toward my goal that would be it. Don't be so focused on your future life, that you forget to have a life right now. You'll reach your destination, but remember to enjoy the journey. I promise you'll be a better, happier person because of it.

Good luck! :)

Archived