Interviews for the incoming class of Fall 2012

To all of you who have interviewed for Western U in the past, do you think you can give some insight to all of us who have interviews coming up January 11 and 12th. What the focus of the interview is, specific interview questions as well as the type of questions they ask, how to prepare..etc? Sharing is caring especially since we have all chosen a field that emphasizes collaborative work. Thanks!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I interviewed last year and the experience was VERY negative. It's all about how much money it's going to cost you, how all you're going to do is study, etc. They review your file beforehand, so make sure you do too. Then be prepared for questions about how you are going to pay for it (I think they actually asked some people "how long will you be paying off loans?"), your study habits, do you have a support system, how do you handle stress. For them, the whole point of the interview is to see if you can handle it.

After I wrote that I went through and found my post from right after I interviewed...I guess they also asked 2 random questions 1) did I know the courses I would be taking once I started? and 2) (there was a current student in the interview) why do I think the student is included in the interview?

I also couldn't remember them saying 1 positive thing about their program the entire day. So I would say, if you get the chance, ask anyone you can good things about the program. What they think makes it stand out, what they think makes it better than others, to students why they chose it, etc. That can help you make a decision later to determine if the program is a good fit for you and you are accepted. Also, if you talk to current students (for us they just happened to be on break while we were waiting for interviews) ask them if they like the program or if they'd choose it again. They will probably all tell you yes because they know you're there to interview, but if they pause or make a face when answering, that might not be how they really feel, and that's a good way to judge the program.

Sorry that was so long...good luck!

I have definitely heard to be sure to know your application well... which should be obvious I suppose. But that brings up a question.... does anyone remember the exact questions asked on our secondary?? I have the print outs of every other school but Western... ahhhh! I know we had to list out all of our extracurricular activities, etc... I just can't remember what else! Thanks in advance for any jogging of my memory. :)

After I wrote that I went through and found my post from right after I interviewed...I guess they also asked 2 random questions 1) did I know the courses I would be taking once I started? and 2) (there was a current student in the interview) why do I think the student is included in the interview?

I also couldn't remember them saying 1 positive thing about their program the entire day. So I would say, if you get the chance, ask anyone you can good things about the program. What they think makes it stand out, what they think makes it better than others, to students why they chose it, etc. That can help you make a decision later to determine if the program is a good fit for you and you are accepted. Also, if you talk to current students (for us they just happened to be on break while we were waiting for interviews) ask them if they like the program or if they'd choose it again. They will probably all tell you yes because they know you're there to interview, but if they pause or make a face when answering, that might not be how they really feel, and that's a good way to judge the program.

Sorry that was so long...good luck!

So does anyone know what the purpose is of having a current student sit in during the interview?

Good luck to those interviewing next week! Has anyone who received a "hold for interview" email get invited for an interview yet? or maybe hear more information on how they're gonna go about with those placed on hold??

I was placed on the "hold" before interviews list and I called Michael Haverkamp last week. He mentioned subtly that that may have interview slots for those who are on that hold list after they review all the candidates with a GPA of 3.4 and above in all 3 categories: science, overall and prereq. How many slots and who will be given priority was not given, but I believe there will be some spots available ( I am looking for some glimmer of hope).

And Michael also mentioned that the GPA's they are considering with a 3.4 and above are the re-calculated GPA's, not CASPA's GPA's. Good luck to everyone who has an interview and good luck to those who are on that unfortunate hold list!

I think the ones on hold are candidates they are interested in, but have lower GPAs. In the hold email, it says the admissions committee has looked over your application and has opted to place your file on hold until all candidates with a 3.4 GPA or higher have been looked at and possibly interviewed.

In regards to ppartovi's question about whether or not they ask about the PA organizations, they did for me. I interviewed with Roy Guizado (program chairperson), and John Olsen. They asked me which organizations I had heard of, if I knew of CAPA or NAPA, and what specifically they did for PAs. Hope this helps.

I haven't heard back yet either... I definitely partook in some "wishful thinking" checking my email religiously the few days following. :) Afterall, ya never know! But, like most of this process, it's never quite that easy. Which day were you guys there? I went on the 11th... who did you interview with? What were your thoughts/feelings on the whole experience?

I haven't heard back yet either... I definitely partook in some "wishful thinking" checking my email religiously the few days following. :) Afterall, ya never know! But, like most of this process, it's never quite that easy. Which day were you guys there? I went on the 11th... who did you interview with? What were your thoughts/feelings on the whole experience?

Interviews were exactly what I expected from the forum posts.. unorganized, gruling, and somewhat unfriendly. For everyone who hasnt interviewed. Decide what you are going to say, say it, and stick to your answer. They will try and make you feel dumb or unsure. Be confident and strong with your response. I like the program qualities but the environment just did not do it for me.

Interviews were exactly what I expected from the forum posts.. unorganized, gruling, and somewhat unfriendly. For everyone who hasnt interviewed. Decide what you are going to say, say it, and stick to your answer. They will try and make you feel dumb or unsure. Be confident and strong with your response. I like the program qualities but the environment just did not do it for me.

Archived