DiMM - diploma in mountain medicine

• Administrator

I will say that the WMS CME tends to disproportionately favor the DiMM topics, both in their publications as well as their conferences.  I have no interest in high altitude medicine, and sometimes wish that they'd do more balanced CME into some of the less-well-served topics of the FAWM core curriculum.

I would suggest Looking  into the FAWM vs DiMM. The FAWM seems to be more broad based in nature. The DiMM is by its own tital a "diploma in mountain medicine". I would encourage you to research the curriculum of each prior to making a decision. If you are looking to be a medical provider at high altitude base camps, or accompany high altitude expeditions then the DiMM may be the best choice for you. If not then I would consider the FAWM.

As far as one v the other for employment. IDK. I do know Remote Medical International (RMI) is actively hiring pa's and one of their "requirements" is having the FAWM.

Anyway, I agree with rev, the WMS needs to place more focus on the FAWM core and a bit less on the DiMM. Thou I have to say HAPE and HACE are fascinating.   

and too many PAs are accused of being dim anyway, why make it official....:)?

One more reason not to pursue it. How would this look on a resume?

Evolute DiMM, PA-C...  I will be the first to admit that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I don't want to advertise it. :) lol

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(Old post revived) . I'm active in WMS, am literally one hour shy of obtaining my FAWM, and am enrolled in the Diploma in dive and marine medicine program.  WMS is well balanced in its acceptance of non-physician providers, bit as stated above, they favor mountain medicine above all else.  

Archived