Sign in to follow this  
fflores98

Prior Service looking into Navy HSCP

Hey guys,

Prior Service Army medic (68W) looking into the HSCP for the fiscal year of 2017. I was in the Army from 2007-2011, 2 tours to Iraq, and honorably discharged. I recently got accepted to a PA program and I would definitely like to go back into the military. I looked into the Army but apparently they don't offer anything like the Navy does. I've met with a recruiter and he explained the process, going through a background check (SF 86), going to MEPS for medical, conducting phone and personal interview, references, personal statement.. etc...

My question would be toward those who had prior service in the military (particularly as medics) how was your experience through this process? Was you military service counted favorably such as deployments? training? Awards? What kind of questions are asked in these interviews? I'm trying to get a big picture of everything and try to see what my chances are in being commissioned. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 1

I believe your time served in the military will be a leg up, but it does not trump all the other stuff. Grades, letters, and interviews are still huge. I did not go much into my military experience because they already knew I was in the military. I focused on why I wanted to be a PA, a PA in the military, and what I had to bring to the table as a Naval officer. Awards and such are great but thats already on paper. They don't want to here about it twice. Good luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By yongheelee1212
      Dear current and future PAs, I'm stuck in a dilemma and I was hoping to get some advice on my situation. Sorry for long post. I am a current Army Reserve pursuing my dream to become a PA and I was accepted into South College - Nashville program for the class of 2022. As an Army Reserve, there is always a chance to be activated and deployed even when I am in the middle of the program. So I explained my situation to the Dean and asked how my case is going to be handled if I were to be deployed during the program. And these are the responses I received from him: Any mobilization or recall would most likely require you to have to withdraw from the program, as we do not offer deceleration. Mobilization or recall for any extended period of time would require you to restart the program from the beginning. Policies regarding refunds of tuition or fees after withdrawal are specified in the South College Student Handbook; I referred you to the Student handbook for that information. If withdrawal is needed, you would need to reapply to Program for reentry, meeting all requirements for admission that are in place at that time; reentry in a future class is not guaranteed. You should discuss this with your Company Commander to see if there is a possible exemption from being mobilized or recalled while you are in the PA Program. Frankly, I was little surprised because, in my knowledge, federal and state law protects school from kicking out students. Is there any reason the law does not apply to PA school? Moreover, I was little insulted that he asking me to request my Company to be exempted from being mobilized and not to serve my country. I thought Dean may be unfamiliar with the military law so I even responded back with my understanding of the law, but ever since then, he has been staying silent and ignoring me. what should I do? has anybody been in same situation?
    • By winstonetwo
      I found some old post about this topic but only a few people were involved and it was from quite a few years back. I thought I'd bring it up again for more clarification for all.
      Looking for suggestions on how to/ how you enter military experience into CASPA.  What are your thoughts on dividing all of that up between medical and non-medical experience, training and schools, deployment vs. garrison, leadership roles, and awards? Did you add past certs that have since lapsed? Should it be broken down by each duty station or each title? Also, how did you quantify the number of hours and should it be one lump sum or divided up? Any thoughts would helpful.
    • By Lheitman11
      Hello all,
      First time posting here. I am currently a PA-S2 with an expected graduation date of July 2020. I’m unsure about my career after graduating from PA School, and was wondering about any benefits that may come with joining the military after I become certified. Any and all information regarding life/work in specific branches is greatly appreciated as I have no information on the topic as of now.
      Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More