Prior Service looking into Navy HSCP

Hey guys,

Prior Service Army medic (68W) looking into the HSCP for the fiscal year of 2017. I was in the Army from 2007-2011, 2 tours to Iraq, and honorably discharged. I recently got accepted to a PA program and I would definitely like to go back into the military. I looked into the Army but apparently they don't offer anything like the Navy does. I've met with a recruiter and he explained the process, going through a background check (SF 86), going to MEPS for medical, conducting phone and personal interview, references, personal statement.. etc...

My question would be toward those who had prior service in the military (particularly as medics) how was your experience through this process? Was you military service counted favorably such as deployments? training? Awards? What kind of questions are asked in these interviews? I'm trying to get a big picture of everything and try to see what my chances are in being commissioned. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I believe your time served in the military will be a leg up, but it does not trump all the other stuff. Grades, letters, and interviews are still huge. I did not go much into my military experience because they already knew I was in the military. I focused on why I wanted to be a PA, a PA in the military, and what I had to bring to the table as a Naval officer. Awards and such are great but thats already on paper. They don't want to here about it twice. Good luck!

Archived