Questions for current students/alums (Yale/Duke/Emory)

Any graduates of Yale, Duke, or Emory? I'd love to hear what you thought of your school. Specifically - 
1) Did you feel like your didactic year prepared you well for clinical year?  (I know 1st year is always an information overload, but I'm curious how you felt about your school's academic structure. Did you feel the curriculum design at your school was useful in helping you retain as much as possible and synthesize what you learned?)
2) Were you happy with your clinical rotation sites and the quality of your rotations in general?
3) How do you feel about your program overall? Any particular advantages or disadvantages you think it gave you?

4) This one is less school-specific, but how significant do you think the "cons" are of going to PA school in a region that you don't intend to stay in after graduation? (I thought this was common, but at Duke, I got the impression that everyone stays in NC.) I'm weighing these 3 schools and I'm unsure how important it is to consider where I want to live after school. If one is in a location I'm not excited about but is in the general region that I want to live in after school, and the other 2 are further away and seem like good places to live for a few years (but I'd want to leave again after graduation) - would I be putting myself at a disadvantage for future jobs if I pick one of the further-away schools?

Thanks!

I can only answer #4 - unless you are 100% sure you want to live and practice in one of the 3 places, don't worry about it.  If you go to Yale but know you'd rather practice in NC, you'll just be competing will all the NC area grads for jobs.  I know at least half of my class doesn't plan on staying in the area and are going home/somewhere new after graduation.  PA jobs are everywhere.  The benefit to wanting to live where you go to school is that you could potentially parlay a clinical rotation into a job offer - not something easily done if you are doing your rotations/going to school far away from where you want to live after school.

As an aside, for others reading the thread, the first 3 questions are absolutely things to ask in the interview.  All the interviews I went on allowed us some time to ask current students questions without faculty present.  Take advantage of it with questions like this.

Thanks for your input MT2PA, it's reassuring to hear that so many in your class plan to leave the area after graduation! (I got a little nervous when I heard at some interviews that almost everyone stays local after school...it caught me off guard and made me wonder if I should be taking location into account more than I have been.) Thanks for sharing your experiences. 

I actually asked all of these questions at my interviews, too, but I didn't really get much feedback - I'd say on average, at each interview I got to talk to 1 or 2 first years and 1 or 2 second years - everyone seemed to like their programs, everyone gave vague but positive feedback. Maybe that means there just isn't that much difference between schools, but I thought I'd try to expand my sample size. :)

Archived