Sign in to follow this  
CO PA-C

Geriatrics/ Nursing Home

Hello, I am a 1st year PA student from GA and I am hoping that someone who works in a nursing home could give some info about:

Typical day

Job enjoyment

Job opportunities

Job security

Any advice...

Thank you 

I work in geriatrics and have worked in skilled nursing homes and assisted living facilities (terminology is different in different states). Some health systems are open to PAs and some prefer to NPs but I think the market is opening to PAs. I don't think it's a typical PA job but I really enjoy it, I like having long term relationships with patients and families and having a mix of primary care, chronic illness and end of life care. As PAs, we can't be the attending for hospice patients (hopefully this will change in the future) but we can co-manage hospice patients as their primary care provider.

During a typical day, I have a list of patients that I am going to see for scheduled visits (they need to be seen at certain intervals according to Medicare guidelines) or at admission and whoever is sick. Obviously there are issues that come up during the day too. I also need to sign off on labwork, imaging, verbal orders and other paperwork. There might be a family meeting or phone calls with guardians. I have to handle electronic stuff that comes in through the EMR and pages from the other facilities. There's a certain amount of juggling of needs that happens throughout the day. 

I think there's a lot of job opportunities and job security. I left my old job and was able to find a new one that I'm very excited about. Geriatrics isn't a very popular field among physicians but I think for the people who like it, they tend to stay in it. There's a lot of stigma about nursing homes but there are good ones. I would be careful about programs that want you to see over 20 patients a day or go to more then 3 places a week. The potential for Medicare fraud in SNF and home care is huge and you don't want to wrapped up in that as a new grad. I would also say that there is a steeper learning curve then you think, patients are sick coming right from the hospital and the nurses aren't necessarily helpful. A huge learning moment for me was when I caught a new admit with digoxin toxicity and AKI who had been there for 3 days and no one questioned her altered mental status. 

I would also be comfortable with end of life, pain control, Coumadin, stroke, hypertension. 

NH work

Show up about 8-9

See patients - urgent first, then work though your regulatory list

Hit each floor/unit to ties up loose ends

Take a few breaks, enjoy the residents

One more time around the facility, out by 3-4

This is once you get up to speed and really settled in and know your patients and medicine

This is likely after 2-4 years of practice and study

Initially you will just be overwhelmed and trying to get though even 10 patients in one day

Also, have to integrate with the practice of the Collaborating Doc.... What ever this has to be.. As a new grad this should be a fair amount of interaction with the doc, as a more senior PA limited interaction...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By IMGtoPA
      I'm a 2nd-yr PA-C currently stuck in geriatrics but interested in psych. I think my next job would be in psych (in an ideal scenario, as of now). I get a lot of new patients from nursing homes and ALFs that are already on psych medications. I haven't found a good reference guide for psych meds outside of the 1st line SSRI's that are started for depression/anxiety and stuff that I learned in school. 
      Is there a good source for what meds come after SSRI's? I inherit a lot of patients who are on SNRI's/Anti-psychotics and although I don't manage them (they are often seen by psychiatry), a lot of these people have a hard time being seen by psych because they are few and far between and the wait times to get to their psychiatrists are pretty long. I just want to know why they would take one med over another, like:
      for SSRI's: why would you choose celexa vs. lexapro vs. prozac vs. paxil vs. zoloft, etc...
      when would you consider an SNRI?
      for psychosis: why would you choose zyprexa vs. geodon vs. risperdal
      something that would break down basic questions into a quick guide for someone like me who doesn't work in psych would be much appreciated! Medscape & UpToDate are a little to detailed for what I'm looking for, although I read up on those too-- but something more quick and dirty is more appropriate for what i'm looking for
    • By CTGPAC
      Getting some advice from my state APA that legally it sounds more kosher to refer to my House Calls business as a "Service" rather than "practice". Any thoughts about this?

I am hatching a business:  providing a " service to Doctors" So, marketing to them. Huge interest so far whom ever i approach. 

=

• By CTGPAC
      Hello! I am looking into starting a House Calls Service in Maryland/DC metro area - I would like to be an independent contractor to extend the services of existing private internal/geriatric medicine practices and see only their Medicare home-bound patients. I currently have been working 3 years as a House Calls PA seeing Medicare pts. But recently our very cool private practice was sold to a large company and i was forced to go W2 and the whole place is a corporate mess. I want to return to my independent 1099 status which works out very well for me.  I am in love with what i do!  I fervently believe this is the future of health care and the right thing to do. Just getting started in discovering its feasibility/ in the R&D phase. Is what i want to do feasible??
      Have a lot of info from attending the recent AAHCM conference but still much, much more to do... Any advice would be appreciated. 
    • By geokz
      Physician (Family medicine) who I work for part time in his medical office offering me to visit his patients in Nursing home /Rehabilitation center for $20/patient/day. 20 patients per week.
      Is it a standard pay?

Please advise.

• By chai-latte
      Hello,

I am unsure as to which category my volunteer position falls under: I volunteer at a nursing home (specifically, the Alzheimer's/dementia community) and I act as an activities leader. My duties consist of helping develop and lead mentally stimulating activities and discussions, perform hand massages (for the sensory experience program), lead chair exercises and assist residents via hand over hand or hand under hand, help with transporting residents to different areas, and lead our singing group.

I am applying next cycle and plan to list this as "Other health related experience" for now. Thanks.

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More