Deciding between programs

Hey everyone. I wanted to gain some insight into my current situation. I've recently been accepted to both Duke and UF. Both programs are pretty similar in structure but I liked Duke a bit more. The name and the network seemed better but the price tag is roughly 130,000 vs 90,000. I want to live and practice in Fl since my family lives here but I don't know if Im making a mistake by not attending the big name school.

Any thoughts on if a big name school matters that much in the job market?

Thanks a lot guys!

If you know you want to be in FL to practice after school, save yourself the money and go to UF.  UF is a great program and, especially in FL, is known as producing great PAs.  You won't be doing yourself any disservice by attending UF and you'll be saving money.  Not to mention you'll make connections during your clinical year probably making job prospects easier when it's time to graduate.

An employer is more likely hire you after having you be student with them and they basically got to try you out than based on the school you graduated from.  Doing rotations in FL will be much more beneficial than having Duke on your diploma when you're job hunting in FL.

If they only advantage to Duke is the name, it's not worth it.  If you genuinely like the facilities, faculty, rotation locations, didactic/clinical year curriculum better then sure, Duke would be a better choice.  

UF isn't a 'big name' in the general collegiate arena, but in the PA world it's nothing to scoff at.

I interviewed at both programs, I understand what you're saying.  Part of it is just personal preference.

Honestly, both programs are very similar in terms of didactic education. UF does their anatomy in the summer while Duke has a fall semester of anatomy. Both are Pass/Fail. UF's facilities were much better as they are brand new but Dukes were pretty nice as well. Clinically, I think UF was better as Duke requires like 2 mandatory away rotations. I liked most of the faculty at UF but Dukes faculty seemed much better to be honest.

In the end, I just can't see myself staying in North Carolina to practice even though its a very friendly PA state. UF is huge in Florida but not as much elsewhere. The bottom line is the debt that comes with the name. It will end up being like 1050/month vs 1500/month for the 10 year standard repayment plan (consolidated federal loans).

I have pretty much today to decide as Dukes deposit is not cheap (1125). Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

I got into New York University and University of North Florida for my undergraduate school. I chose UNF, got the same degree, and am accepted to a fantastic PA program. All in all? I don't think going to NYU would've changed anything other than the amount of debt accumulated. 

Just go with the program that felt the best! 

The name of the school you attended doesn't matter after you graduate.  

The quality of the education you receive may vary.  From what I'm seeing, the lower ranked schools are lower ranked for a reason.  Clinical rotations is the biggest factor, but quality of the didactic component varies a lot as well.  

Not suggesting you reconsider anything!  Cost of program as well as cost of living has to factor in, but do not discount the total quality of the education you expect to receive.  

Archived