Puerto Rico

Director Luis,

I appreciate the information you've posted about the Puerto Rico Cohort. I am writing to you concerning the language requirments. I've spent the majority of the last 3 years living in Spanish speaking communities in Ecuador and Belize. In 2009 I spent 6 months living in Ecuador with Ecuadorian doctors (I had lived with them twice before for a total of 2 months), working as a translator and assistant on their rural medical projects throughout the country. After that I spent the last 2 years as a Peace Corps Health Extension Volunteer in a Spanish speaking immigrant community in Southern Belize.

I took 3 Spanish classes at Penn State, but have learned mostly from my experiences abroad and from continuing to communicating with my Spanish speaking friends in other countries and the US. I have been really excited to hear about the Puerto Rico Cohort and was wondering if you could offer me any advice as to whether you think I could apply considering my experience. I consider myself conversationally and functionally fluent Spanish (both written and spoken). All this being said, I hesitate to claim that I am truly bilingual seeing as I didn't grow up speaking Spanish and only began speaking it about 6 years ago. I understand that I have always more to learn.

I apologize for putting so much in this post about the experiences that I have-what I was hoping is to get your opinion about whether from a language standpoint you think I could apply for your program and be considered. I only live a few hours from Pittsburgh and would be happy to travel there to meet with you any time to discuss this more. I appreciate any suggestions or advice you could give me. I will actually be attending the open house this Sunday at Chatham and am looking forward to the possibility of meeting you and the other Chatham University Staff. Thank you very much for your consideration and advice. Bendiciones,

Owen Smith

State College, PA

Gracias Belston227 y quantumleap_21 por su conversacion. Me ha ayudado bastante poder leer su dialogo. Ya puse un post largisimo abajo pero tenia casi las mismas preguntas que quantumleap_21. Espero que le vaya muy bien Belston227 y tal vez nos vemos quantumleap_21. Bueno muchisimas gracias

Gracias Belston227 y quantumleap_21 por su conversacion. Me ha ayudado bastante poder leer su dialogo. Ya puse un post largisimo abajo pero tenia casi las mismas preguntas que quantumleap_21. Espero que le vaya muy bien Belston227 y tal vez nos vemos quantumleap_21. Bueno muchisimas gracias

• 9 months later...

I just ran across this thread...How fantastic. I will start PA school this May and have lots of experience in a free clinic where a signficant portion of patients are Spanish-speaking. I've also done missions work in rural Honduras. I am looking forward to doing some of my rotations in a Spanish-speaking country...I didn't event think about the possibility of the Commonwealth of la isla Puerto Rico!

Archived