Puerto Rico

http://www.chatham.edu/academics/programs/graduate/mpas/puertorico/

"Application deadline for the Puerto Rico cohort starting August 2010 is June 1st and for the cohort starting August 2011 is October 1st.

(Applications must be e-submitted to CASPA by the specified deadlines). Applicants applying to this program will complete two didactic semesters and all clinical rotations in Puerto Rico."

Thoughts?

My Class has students going... they did their full didactic year here. One girl will do six rotations through the VA there. they say bilingual, but proficient is a must... all documentation is done in english... will be able to give more feedback once students have actually been there a while. The good thing is that before the class starts there will be students there doing rotations to kind of pave the way...

Hello,

I am the PA Program Director at Chatham University. A cohort group of students will complete most of their education at the Universidad Metropolitana in Bayamón, a city within the San Juan metro area. We will be selecting 8 students for the first group which starts this August. We are accepting applicants for this and next year. Applicants for this group must be bilingual (English and Spanish). This is the general information found in our web site (Puerto Rico Cohort):

Beginning in fall 2010 Chatham University will offer the only ARC-PA-approved physician assistant studies program in Puerto Rico. Through a partnership with Universidad Metropolitana (UMet), Chatham MPAS students will complete two didactic semesters and all clinical rotations at the UMet's Bayamón Campus located the San Juan metropolitan area. Classes start in August. Students from the San Juan cohort will be required to attend three short seminars (2-3 weeks long) at the Pittsburgh Campus. The first seminar will take place the first three weeks in August (at the start of the first year) and the second seminar will take place the second and third weeks in May (at the end of the first year). The third seminar (3 weeks) will take place during the summer of the second year (at the end of the program). Please review the program's curriculum for specifics on the courses taught during these seminars. Additional information about the seminars will be presented during the New Students Orientation, before classes begin.

The program builds on the unique problem-based learning method that has been so successful at our Pittsburgh campus and is approved under our ARC-PA accreditation . It will combine on-the-ground and distance learning components to enhance the educational experience for our students.

Applicants to the Puerto Rico cohort must be bilingual in English and Spanish.

I encourage you to visit our web site. Let me know if you have any questions.

Luis A. Ramos, MS, PA-C

PA Program Director

Chatham University

• 1 month later...

I'm curious about the rotations that are done in Puerto Rico. Will the protocols, practices, equipment be on par with that found in the domestic United States? Will students, upon completing their boards, be able to practice whereever they choose? Or are they expected to stay in Puerto Rico?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your interest in the Chatham University PA Program and the Puerto Rico cohort. I need to make a few clarifications:

1) Puerto Rico has no legislation authorizing PA practice at this time. There are efforts to change this status and as soon as it does, we will let everyone know. We are hoping that this will be the case by the time the cohort of students in Puerto Rico graduate in 2012. Until then, jobs may be available at federal medical facilities in the island, such as the hospital and clinics of the VA in Puerto Rico.

2) This is not a new program or a separate program from the one Chatham University has in Pittsburgh. This is a cohort group of Chatham MPAS students receiving their education at a distant site, in this case Puerto Rico.

3) The Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) accredits the PA program at Chatham University, which includes the distant site in Puerto Rico. They did not accredit this cohort separately. Furthermore, the ARC-PA does not approve any program methodology (such as PBL) as it was erroneously posted.

Please let me know if you have any questions about our program and/or the Puerto Rico cohort.

Luis A. Ramos, MS, PA-C

Director and Assistant Professor

Physician Assistant Program

ChathamUNIVERSITY

Woodland Road

Pittsburgh, PA 15232

Phone: 412-365-1405

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
congrats Luis for what?????????? They should produce better PA's than more and more PA's.

Jimmyy,

Better PAs than what? As compared to what? Besides, being able to graduate more (qualified and highly educated) primary care PAs is a way to help address the need of access to healthcare in this country... and if the class is diverse, it could also address the issue of healthcare disparities.

LAR

I'm curious about the rotations that are done in Puerto Rico. Will the protocols, practices, equipment be on par with that found in the domestic United States? Will students, upon completing their boards, be able to practice whereever they choose? Or are they expected to stay in Puerto Rico?

I am sorry for the late response... all of the clinical experiences in Puerto Rico will be at par with those in the mainland. All the hospitals we are going to use on the island will be accredited by the Joint Commission (formely JACAHO). Graduates can practice where ever they want, including Puerto Rico (once legistation passes).

LAR

congrats Luis for what?????????? They should produce better PA's than more and more PA's.

Congrats for a major accomplishment in clinical training with the PR distant training site. Congrats for innovative and cutting edge PA training by using PBL. Congrats for producing excellent graduates and having a respectable first time PANCE pass rate. I think they should be congratulated for these things.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Belston227
Hey everyone, I like the idea of going to school in Puerto Rico. I am very proficient is spoken spanish but not so proficient in reading in Spanish. Soo.. my qeustion are..are the PBL sessions going to be conducted primarly in spanish? Are study materials going to be spanish.

Everything other than patient interaction is in English.

Guest Belston227
Ok Belston227, gracias por la información. Vi que te aceptaron para el cohorte en Puerto Rico. Felicidades. De donde eres Belston227? Yo soy de Matamoros Tamaulipas México pero soy Estadounidense, y me gustaría mucho estudiar en Puerto Rico.

Gracias, quantumleap. No hay accentos en el ipad, pues perdoname por la mala gramatica. Soy de Arizona y voy a Puerto Rico este Agosto con un grupo de ocho estudiantes americanos. Por que quieres asistir a la universidad en Puerto Rico y no los programas dentro de los Estados? En realidad, pasamos solamente dos semestres en la isla y el resto del programa se completa en Pittsburgh y otras partes de los E.E.U.U. mientras completamos las rotaciones.

Director Luis,

I appreciate the information you've posted about the Puerto Rico Cohort. I am writing to you concerning the language requirments. I've spent the majority of the last 3 years living in Spanish speaking communities in Ecuador and Belize. In 2009 I spent 6 months living in Ecuador with Ecuadorian doctors (I had lived with them twice before for a total of 2 months), working as a translator and assistant on their rural medical projects throughout the country. After that I spent the last 2 years as a Peace Corps Health Extension Volunteer in a Spanish speaking immigrant community in Southern Belize.

I took 3 Spanish classes at Penn State, but have learned mostly from my experiences abroad and from continuing to communicating with my Spanish speaking friends in other countries and the US. I have been really excited to hear about the Puerto Rico Cohort and was wondering if you could offer me any advice as to whether you think I could apply considering my experience. I consider myself conversationally and functionally fluent Spanish (both written and spoken). All this being said, I hesitate to claim that I am truly bilingual seeing as I didn't grow up speaking Spanish and only began speaking it about 6 years ago. I understand that I have always more to learn.

I apologize for putting so much in this post about the experiences that I have-what I was hoping is to get your opinion about whether from a language standpoint you think I could apply for your program and be considered. I only live a few hours from Pittsburgh and would be happy to travel there to meet with you any time to discuss this more. I appreciate any suggestions or advice you could give me. I will actually be attending the open house this Sunday at Chatham and am looking forward to the possibility of meeting you and the other Chatham University Staff. Thank you very much for your consideration and advice. Bendiciones,

Owen Smith

State College, PA

Archived