Response from Past AAFP president

I am a clinical year PA student in the MEDEX program and I sent Dr. Blackwell, past AAFP President an email a while back explaining why I believe family physicians should preferentially hire PAs. His response is below:

"Simon,

Sorry for the delay in my response, but your email ended up in my spam folder, which I sadly do not check often. The combination of my work migrating to a new mail service and an unexpected snow break allowed me time to catch up on many things, including clearing all my mailboxes. I apologize as your thoughtful email deserved a response.

I appreciate your perspectives, and as you could tell agree with you. Physicians and PAs are natural and powerful team members, and PAs are the only other professional who shares the medical training model. I spent significant time during my officer term meeting with the leadership of the national PA organizations, and am pleased that I think the relationship between them and the AAFP is now stronger than ever.

I encourage you to continue to inform yourself about such topics, and be a strong voice for advocacy. That is one area where physicians for sure, and I suspect many PAs fall down compared with our colleagues in other organizations such as APRNs."

Hope you are well.

Cheers,

Reid

Reid Blackwelder, MD, FAAFP

Professor, Family Medicine

Quillen College of Medicine, ETSU

Past President, American Academy of Family Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Archived