Class of 2018

I just wanted to get this topic started so those of us that have been accepted can get in touch and start sharing information. I'm not trying to jinx the rest of the applicants who are still waiting to hear back from their interviews, but we have 4 months before day 1 and I'm sure there will be some people trying to move to Mobile from across the country. I've spoken with Mrs. Dunn and she is hoping to have the Facebook page up by the beginning of February.

My name is Nick and I will be with the class of 2018. I don't know much about Mobile, but I have read a lot of the posts regarding the surrounding areas and I'll be glad to take any more info on where to live and what apartments are definitely worth trying to get. Also if anyone has been given any advice on what computers to buy for PA school in regards to operating systems and what not, please feel free to share that too.

Good luck to everyone waiting for that phone call, and congrats to all of you that have been accepted!

Hey Nick, my name is James. I literally just received my letter in the mail stating I was accepted. So congrats to you and everyone else who has been accepted so far and best of luck to those still waiting. I live in Mobile so I'm relatively familiar with most areas. If there is anything you would like to know, I'd be glad to try to help. 

Regarding the laptop, I have not heard anything, but I did just recently purchase a Macbook Pro. Pretty happy with it so far. Still learning the Mac OS since I've always been a Windows person. Hopefully it will be acceptable for the program. If you hear anything else regarding this, please keep me in the loop. 

Congrats again, and I look forward to meeting you and everyone else!

Hey guys names Royce as I'm sure you've figured out. Congrats on being accepted I'm looking forward to moving down there and meeting everyone. I'll be moving from Maine so Itll be great having a resource that lives right in mobile. Be on the lookout for plenty of questions for sure!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

Question for anyone local: My husband is getting stationed in Mobile for the US Coast Guard and I have been accepted to USA's PA Program to start in May! We're really excited for how things fell into place. We will be moving from North Carolina in April and are looking at pros vs. cons of buying a house or renting. Additionally, we're not sure what neighborhoods are good/bad. I've done some research online, but do any of you locals have any advice? A property we're looking at is: 9230 Ann Ct., Mobile, AL 36695. Is that a good, safe area? Thank you in advance for any advice/tips!

Hey guys!

Question for anyone local: My husband is getting stationed in Mobile for the US Coast Guard and I have been accepted to USA's PA Program to start in May! We're really excited for how things fell into place. We will be moving from North Carolina in April and are looking at pros vs. cons of buying a house or renting. Additionally, we're not sure what neighborhoods are good/bad. I've done some research online, but do any of you locals have any advice? A property we're looking at is: 9230 Ann Ct., Mobile, AL 36695. Is that a good, safe area? Thank you in advance for any advice/tips!

Congrats on the acceptance! There are tons of neighborhoods within 10-15 mins from the campus. Personally, I would avoid anything immediately adjacent to the university on any side. Typically, the further south you travel, the nicer the houses/neighborhoods tend to get. Obviously, prices would increase accordingly. There are a few smaller neighborhoods right off of Airport blvd that are nice. Huntleigh Woods and Westover are the two that come to mind. My wife and I drove through the neighborhood with the house you mentioned when we were looking to buy. If I remember correctly, there are two neighborhoods side by side there that are connected in the middle. One is a newer development, the other a bit older but still nice. The area isn't bad. It's very close to one of Mobile's public schools as well as the MOB airport.

My wife and I bought a house in Westover which is quite a bit smaller neighborhood, but it is also right off of Airport blvd. It is probably half the distance to the school from the place you listed. Huntleigh Woods is a bit closer. Huntleigh Woods is an older neighborhood, but the houses are very nice. SugarCreek, Pinestation, and Ashmore are a few more nice neighborhoods, but I believe they get a bit pricier. If you were to drive East from the school on Old Shell Rd, you would drive through the older Mobile homes/neighborhoods. They are very nice, but also pricey. I have heard of people having some success renting in the area though so it might be worth looking. Anything off Old Shell rd between University blvd and the I65 overpass is nice. I would avoid going further East.

If you travel South from the university on Hillcrest rd, you'll pass over Airport blvd, then continue to Grelot rd. If you take a right (West), there are several nice neighborhoods off Grelot before you reach Schillinger rd. The prices vary quite a bit from one neighborhood to the next so it really boils down to luck and searching. 

One neighborhood name that comes to mind that I would avoid is Hillsdale. It's near the campus. I wouldn't put my wife and child there. Unfortunately, that's the only name that I can think of at the moment. 

Obviously, you'll need a map to follow some of this, but hopefully it kinda paints a little picture of the area. Please feel free to ask anything you can think of. I'll do what I can to answer. Again, congrats and I look forward to meeting you!

Another area worth looking is off of Cody rd between Airport Blvd and Cottage Hill rd. There are neighborhoods on both sides that are pretty nice. Some more reasonably priced than others. If you cross over Cottage Hill rd, Cody rd becomes Sollie rd. Sollie rd has some neighborhoods also but I believe they're quite a bit more expensive.

Pretty much anything off Cody rd between Airport and Cottage Hill will be a nice area. No idea what you guys have in mind for prices but you should find quite the variety in the areas I mentioned.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to help!

Have any of you done any research into the financial aid process? I tried emailing the financial aid office, but they won't answer any questions without a JAG number. According to Nancy, I won't be officially registered for another week or two (I'm sure the same applies for everyone else) so I won't have a JAG number until that time. It may just have to wait a few weeks, but I was trying to be proactive. 

Glad to help!

Have any of you done any research into the financial aid process? I tried emailing the financial aid office, but they won't answer any questions without a JAG number. According to Nancy, I won't be officially registered for another week or two (I'm sure the same applies for everyone else) so I won't have a JAG number until that time. It may just have to wait a few weeks, but I was trying to be proactive. 

jlindsey, I applied for a 2015-2016 FAFSA just in case because the financial aid office told me that our first summer semester would be included in that award year. Once I did that, I was given a JAG number which was about a month ago and I had to fill out some additional documents. The financial aid office told me I was not officially admitted/registered yet (as you mentioned) so I would not be "awarded" anything until that happens. I also applied for the 2016-2017 year recently, but have not been given any further information. Not sure if that helps at all, but I was trying to get a head start much like you! 

jlindsey- I just found out about a rental with this address: 5918 Windham Court Mobile, AL 36608. It IS close to USA, but near Huntleigh Woods. It's right near Old Shell Road and University Blvd. Any idea if that area is decent and safe?

I'm going to start looking into the financial aid process soon, too, so thank you for sharing your info jesskenzie!

That's not a bad area. In fact, a lot of students rent houses in there. It's within walking distance of the university but not necessarily the Allied Health building. Wouldn't be a bad bike ride. Only a couple min drive.

I don't personally know anyone that lives or has lived in there but I know it's a common place for students to rent. I pass it everyday on my way home. It's very close to a really good pizza place called Picklefish.

You really couldn't find a more convenient place without living on campus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the same thing jess did in regards to financial aid. I've completed the 2015/16 fafsa and I'm waiting to do my taxes this year to complete the 2016/17 fafsa. I currently have a JAG # but I have to wait until they register us for the program. I've also heard that it doesn't take long to receive the benefits once they are decided. Look into Grad Plus loans as well if you haven't heard of them. Take the time to fill out that form online because a friend of mine (who went to UAB and is a PA now) said that it helps for additional loan money and you need to fill it out separately in order to receive it. It's not piggybacked onto the Fafsa form we fill out like some of the financial aid office reps have said.

How do you guys have a JAG number already? Is that something Nancy contacted you about?

I'm doing the 2015/16 FAFSA now, and I'll do the 2016/17 as soon as I get my taxes taken care of like you said. I'm glad you mentioned that about the Grad Plus loans because when I called the financial aid office today they kept telling me the max for federal loans is just over 20k, but she wasn't able to tell me how the rest is covered. That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the info!

How do you guys have a JAG number already? Is that something Nancy contacted you about?

I'm doing the 2015/16 FAFSA now, and I'll do the 2016/17 as soon as I get my taxes taken care of like you said. I'm glad you mentioned that about the Grad Plus loans because when I called the financial aid office today they kept telling me the max for federal loans is just over 20k, but she wasn't able to tell me how the rest is covered. That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks for the info!

Jlindsey, you will get your JAG number once USA receives your financial aid info from FAFSA. Mine came in an email maybe a week or so after my FAFSA was completed!

ndok5, thanks for the info on the Grad Plus loans!

Archived