urgent care

I currently work as a hospitalist for the last year or so where I admit pts directly from the ER as well take floor calls and assist in codes. I want to expend my experience beyond internal medicine and was offered a part time position with a local urgent care. Any advice on what to read  to familiarize myself with non-internal medicine topics. For example, peds and ortho?

Peds - a viral URI speech, strep throat, OM, lac's, allergies. Depending on your scope/size of clinic appendicitis work up

Ortho - good physical exam, basic Xray interpretation (will you have rads over read in a reasonable time?), how to splint and the number of a good clinic to refer to. There are fewer ortho emergencies than you would imagine but keep an eye you for compartment syndrome, compound fractures (even with just a tiny break in the skin),vascular compromise.

There is other stuff too...but it's late and I can't think of anything else. I'll add more when I do though.... Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived