Mental Health For Providers

Not to bring you down but PA school is much less forgiving than MD or DO school and IMO more stressful although yea once you graduate you avoid the stress of matching (but instead are thrust into the work place sooner). Anecdotally PAs have better mental health than our physician counterparts however probably because of the personality type attracted to PA more than actual major job differences.

Unfortunately health care providers are discouraged and stigmatized from seeking help despite the fact that our jobs are considerably more stressful than others. For example just renewed my license and one of the questions is if you have ever been dx or tx for MDD.

Not to bring you down but PA school is much less forgiving than MD or DO school and IMO more stressful although yea once you graduate you avoid the stress of matching (but instead are thrust into the work place sooner). Anecdotally PAs have better mental health than our physician counterparts however probably because of the personality type attracted to PA more than actual major job differences.

Unfortunately health care providers are discouraged and stigmatized from seeking help despite the fact that our jobs are considerably more stressful than others. For example just renewed my license and one of the questions is if you have ever been dx or tx for MDD.

I do expect it to be very tough, but I think for me the deal breaker of medical school is that you can do well and pass and still not match. Also I wouldn't want the pressure of having to decide my specialty in medical school, with no real room for wavering. 

I wonder what they would do if you marked "yes" to the MDD thing? I don't have that but anxiety yes. It seems like they couldn't discriminate against that as a medical condition unless you weren't able to do your job.

Archived