Associate Physician"

No thats just unsubstantiated. Plus no one is arguing that, they are talking about ability to provide safe and effective care, not necessarily knowing more. Some overlap yes, but definitely different.

The ad Hominem attacks were "thats pretty delusional" "just please stop lol". Everything else you say is contrary, which is fine, but please provide some info for why you think what you do

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you actually saying a PA is qualified to practice medicine independently on day 1 after graduation?

No one is saying or suggesting that a new grad PA is prepared to practice medicine independently (or autonomously, which would be the proper term). Neither is an MS4. Both require structure and oversight in their practice with continued training and knowledge development.

Saying a PA doesn't know as much as an M4 is ad hominem?

Similarities at that stage greatly outweigh the differences. PA students have all the same duties, experiences, and training on rotations that medical students have. The didactic portion of medical school certainly explores pathophysiology and biomechanisms more in-depth and prepares the MS for the Steps. But on the flip side, the didactic portion of PA programs seem to prepare the PA-S more for physical examination, diagnosis and general medicine tx. Our partner MS 1s & 2s did not perform nearly as much sim lab, procedure lab, OSCEs, or physical exam practice as we did.

Take it for what you will, but we are geared differently. The most striking difference I have seen is how we are prepped. The inherent difference is that PAs must be equipped for a certain array of general medical practice upon graduation, as is the nature of our profession. MD/DOs will gain much of that and more by virtue of their required residency training. It's not so unreasonable then that the goals of schools are different; if one is graduating a provider who must have continuing formalized education and the other is not.

cbrons - what's your background?  It will add to the discussion - as you'll note, I'm a PA-C and in family medicine/urgent care.  So I speak from my experiences and what I have seen of other PAs in our practice and what I've seen of MS3s and MS4s in our practice. 

And no, I'm not saying we are supposed to be independent on day one.  We are, as mentioned, designed to practice at the level of senior residents day one after graduation. 

Changed it for you. I didn't intend to point out logical fallacies. I will state that Gordon's assumption does beg the question regarding MS4s being capable of practicing right out of school, but perhaps does not necessitate the second question about PAs. I was truly asking what his assumption was based upon.

At any rate...

Begging the question does not mean "to ask the question". Begging the question is more or less disguising your stance or conclusion in the form of an argument to discuss the above.

It's all good. I still agree with your sentient points

Archived