Pay $15,000 if I leave a 2 year contract early?

I've been a PA-C for 21yrs. 

It's at a Pain Manarement clinic, and the owner/physician staters she has to pay 12K to the recruiting firm I went thru?

12K?  For what little they did, I could see 120$, or stretching it 1,200$, but 12K.

So, it's in a contract I haven't signed yet that I will pay 15K if I leave before 2 years!

Is this even legal?

Thanks,

Todd

MS, PA-C

My two cents is that the headhunting fee is a business overhead that was entered into by the business, not you.  It's different from requesting reimbursement from tuition assistance or moving expenses, or signing bonuses.  None of that 12K is going to you. I don't know if it's legal or not, but I would strongly advise against it.  Are you being asked to pay for the electricity used while you work there? No, because it's business overhead.  Get it struck from the contract, or consult an attorney, or don't work there.

Best of luck.

Yes, I'm trying to get back to work after being wrongfully terminated about 2 weeks ago- where I had been over 5 years.

At this point, I'd rather starve, get foreclosed on, etc. than sign this contract.

We'll see what early next week holds.  I have until this coming Friday to decide- (today is Saturday)

I'm going to call her and discuss it further.

It''s one of those, 'on, we never hired a Male before'  Pretty sure it's only been NP's too.

They did offer the job however- just a clause I've NEVER had before.

I don't have the money to consult an attorney.

my advise

simply line out and initial what you don't like and sign the contract and give it back

this says you are willing to work, but on your terms, not theirs

this money is spent, gone, done - and they decided to spend it before you even knew about the position...

nope

my advise

simply line out and initial what you don't like and sign the contract and give it back

this says you are willing to work, but on your terms, not theirs

this money is spent, gone, done - and they decided to spend it before you even knew about the position...

nope

That's good advice.  I won't get the job, but it is good advice.

I'm a recruiter now and the fee your speaking of is a liquidation fee. Something of the sort that they agree to pay 10-20% of your annual salary. Its an agreement between the headhunting firm and your employer. I've never seen an employer try to make the employee responsible for the arrangements between the employer and staffing firm. Seems unethical to me. They may very well pay another 12k in liquidation fees if they choose to go through that staffing firm again.

I'm a recruiter now and the fee your speaking of is a liquidation fee. Something of the sort that they agree to pay 10-20% of your annual salary. Its an agreement between the headhunting firm and your employer. I've never seen an employer try to make the employee responsible for the arrangements between the employer and staffing firm. Seems unethical to me. They may very well pay another 12k in liquidation fees if they choose to go through that staffing firm again.

Thanks,

I don't think they'll take it out- and of course there's an NP that will probably sign a clause like that, I'll try, but now I don't think I"ll get the postion b/c of this,

but I'd rather have my family starve first.

My salary was agreed on at 90K/yr, + possible bonuses, some benefits, etc.  It's a pay cut for me, story of my life.

And WOW- what a lucrative business, and WHY on God's green earth would an employer use it?

10-20% of my yearly salary- for WHAT?  The recruiter has done little of nothing, and rates this kind of pay?

Less than an hours work for around a month of my salary?

No wonder why I'm being inundated with call/emails from recruiters during this job search.  

And WOW- what a lucrative business, and WHY on God's green earth would an employer use it?

10-20% of my yearly salary- for WHAT?  The recruiter has done little of nothing, and rates this kind of pay?

Less than an hours work for around a month of my salary?

No wonder why I'm being inundated with call/emails from recruiters during this job search.  

It is a very lucrative business. Employers use it as a means to meet their staffing needs and save costs without having an HR dept, many employers do not want to deal with the process of sourcing candidates, conducting a pre-qualification interview, and then in person interviews. If you're being inundated by emails and calls from recruiters imagine how employers feel when they post a job, they might receive 100's of resumes and not all will be qualified for the position. Also, recruiters do not receive the whole fee, he/she may receive 1-5% commission of the liquidation fee and the sales person receives 5-10% commission with most of the fee going to the staffing firm.

Recruiter may not do much but the staffing business has to pay huge amounts for yearly memberships for resume database websites such as Monster, Indeed, ZipRecruiter or even personal company pages. It's an alternative to a employer having a HR department. 

It is a very lucrative business. Employers use it as a means to meet their staffing needs and save costs without having an HR dept, many employers do not want to deal with the process of sourcing candidates, conducting a pre-qualification interview, and then in person interviews. If you're being inundated by emails and calls from recruiters imagine how employers feel when they post a job, they might receive 100's of resumes and not all will be qualified for the position. Also, recruiters do not receive the whole fee, he/she may receive 1-5% commission of the liquidation fee and the sales person receives 5-10% commission with most of the fee going to the staffing firm.

Recruiter may not do much but the staffing business has to pay huge amounts for yearly memberships for resume database websites such as Monster, Indeed, ZipRecruiter or even personal company pages. It's an alternative to a employer having a HR department. 

Thanks for the informative reply- that's pretty much what I figured.  

Archived