Major Change: Doctorate in Medical Science

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yup, I'm the red-headed step child in the family. first generation not to go to Harvard either as a student or faculty since it was founded...maybe I can give a lecture there someday and redeem myself....:)

HAHA! It's not a true family without a red-headed step child to hate on ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Many folks with the DHSc degree are now program directors, deans, etc. There is also a provost of deans (step above dean) with the degree at Philadelphia U.

Mike Milner, the recent assistant surgeon general of the US (#2 at US PHS) is a PA with a DHSc

I agree.  Many (most) of our grads are dually-qualified; that is, they have a professional license and a doctoral degree.  I would venture to say that any PA with a DHSc can get a faculty job at a very credible PA Program. It is not true that any PhD can get a faculty job, since there is a shortage of jobs outside of health professions education.  The double credential is a real plus.   Now that has been true for over a decade, and many DHSc holders  are rising to department chair, program director, assistant dean and associate dean roles, and have been promoted from assistant professor to associate and full professor.  The degree has been almost fully integrated into the "system".  For example, a recent job announcement in a  major Florida state university department of public health called for a "PhD, DrPh, or DHSc".  

• 2 weeks later...

University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and the Department of Physician Assistant is gathering a needs assessment to identify the interest in healthcare professionals that are interested in pursuing an advance doctoral degree. The Department of Physician Assistant at the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley needs your assistance in completing this survey.
Please complete this survey ASAP, the latest by March 15th.
https://utrgv.co1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_a3My4zfMpSfFwMt

I thank you in advance.

Frank Ambritz
Chair and Clinical Associate Professor
Department of Physician Assistant
(956) 665-7042 frank.ambriz @utrgv.edu
Brownsville • Edinburg • Harlingen

• 2 weeks later...

I think I prefer the new program at Lynchburg , VA that is offering an optional postgrad clinical phase to grant a DPAM (Doctorate in PA medicine).

Check out the Lynchburg website. Their program has changed in a very interesting way.

Physician Assistant Doctoral Option Doctor of Medical Science

Lynchburg College is excited to be in the final development stages of a doctoral degree as a post-professional option for students that have graduated from an accredited master’s level PA program (or PA certification with a master’s degree). Curriculum development started in late 2013 and will produce its first expected graduates in May 2018.

http://www.lynchburg.edu/graduate/physician-assistant-medicine/physician-assistant-doctoral-option/

That makes two Doctor of Medical Science "DMS" programs for already practicing PAs. The other is at LMU.

I wonder if Lynchburg will waive the clinical component for those that have already done a fellowship/residency.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I would encourage you to write them and ask about that. I'm strongly considering a residency/fellowship after graduation and would love for it to count toward a DMS.

The real problem I have with it-- they only talk about how this somehow puts PAs on par with physicians to fill a gap. This is a lie. Every PA with this degree WILL STILL BE A DEPENDENT PRACTITIONER AND SUBJECTED TO HAVING A SUPERVISING PHYSICIAN.

Sorry for the caps. It's a money grab from a school who wants to charge graduate prices for another piece of paper on the wall.

I have a question? All PA programs in 2020 are required to confer a masters degree upon graduation. What happens to PAs that have been granted. Bachelors degree or certificate from an accredited program and have been in the workforce for more than 10 years? I am assuming we are grandfathered in?

I have a question? All PA programs in 2020 are required to confer a masters degree upon graduation. What happens to PAs that have been granted. Bachelors degree or certificate from an accredited program and have been in the workforce for more than 10 years? I am assuming we are grandfathered in?

Of course, you would be grandfather. There is no way anyone would allow the work force to loose 10 % of the workforce. Don't quote that percentage but I guarantee it's a lot of PAs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

Lynchburg will have a DMSc program. first class starts in the spring next year.

Where did you get this information as there is nothing new on their website? Unless my computer is stuck on an old page, the same old one keeps coming up with no information.

Archived