I know this has been addressed as a general topic, but has anyone been waitlisted at PCOM (specifically) and successfully worked your way off of it? If so, how did you do it?

I just found out that I've been waitlisted and now that I'm done licking my wounds, I've been working on my letter of intent and lining up more shadowing opportunities. I desperately want to attend but don't know how to stand out. Furthermore, they state that they do not rank or order their list. Please help!

I know this has been addressed as a general topic, but has anyone been waitlisted at PCOM (specifically) and successfully worked your way off of it? If so, how did you do it?

I just found out that I've been waitlisted and now that I'm done licking my wounds, I've been working on my letter of intent and lining up more shadowing opportunities. I desperately want to attend but don't know how to stand out. Furthermore, they state that they do not rank or order their list. Please help!

I got waitlisted for class of 2019. Any advice?

I'm currently a first year and I was waitlisted last cycle. I was one of the last interviews and put a deposit down on another school. I found out about 3 months later that I was accepted off the wait list and decided to go here instead. I didn't do in anything in terms of contacting the program, I kind of just played the waiting game! I don't think anything you do now would end up changing your chances. From my understanding they will relook at all interviewees and their applications and base it on that. So I guess my advice would be to wait it out, focus on any other upcoming interviews, and hope for the best! But definitely don't count yourself out!

• Upvote 1

Pcom PA's advise is pretty on point. I would add to understand that word on the street is that PCOM had over 3K applicants for the GA campus alone (double from last year), that is a lot of competition!

And based on a complete guess, if you have no other pending applications, I would figure out what is lacking (if anything) for next year, once the stats for the 2019 class come out (posted on PCOM's website) see how you compare (if you are at or above average then perhaps it could be something about your interview, personal statement, or letters of recommendation) and apply to more schools (dont put all your eggs in one basket type of deal). Again those are all complete guesses since I have no other info other than what you posted.

Good luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Farafish260
      I just had all of my transcripts uploaded by CASPA. And, I’ve approved them, but do I have to match the prerequisites to the programs or will CASPA do that for me if I opt out? Thx 
    • By Tijha
      I am currently on track to go to PA school directly after college, but I want to know whether or not I should decide to take a gap year. I am only a college sophomore but I already have my CMA certification and working this summer in medical records. This fall, I also already have a job in line for a MA position and I will also be able to shadow the PA there. My question is am I rushing things? Should I just focus on my GPA or should I continue to work and shadow during the school year? Or would taking a gap year be the most beneficial?
    • By Mhodson014
      Hey guys!!!
      So I am so excited to be applying to PA school this round! 
      I am working on my supplemental essays and one of the schools I am applying to wants an essay based off of my life experiences. They specifically state that this is different from the personal statement and that it should be based on my life history and experiences in 3200 characters.
      I am kind of confused on where to begin..
      Is it okay to include things from high school and my childhood?
      Also good luck to everyone applying this round!!!
    • By Naisphan
      Hey! If anyone has any questions regarding PA school or their application please don't hesitate to let me know!
      I applied to 9 schools, got accepted to 1, waitlisted at 4 schools and denied to 4 schools.
      When I was applying there were not many resources to find other students who were accepted with low GPAs to see what they have done, so I just want to help out as much as possible. This is a very stressful part of an individual's life and having someone to relate to can definitely help out.
      If anyone feels uncomfortable commenting their questions on here or need a super fast response, feel free to message me on my instagram as well: Naisphan
      Right now, I'm a volunteer pre-pa mentor for two community colleges in my neighborhood.

I don't want to make this a super long post but a quick overview of my statistics:
      cGPA: 3.1
      sGPA: 3.01
      Last 60 credit hours: 3.8
      PCE: 2600
      HCE: 1500
      Shadowing Hours: 144
      GRE: Did not take

There is so so so much more than just the numbers. I really mean that. I have spoken with a whole bunch of PA admissions committee members directly at multiple schools about my application and also what they're looking for in potential applicants. I've also spoken to many students and pre-pa mentors as well to help me throughout the process.
      With my low GPA, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to make it into school but with the help of my mentors I was able to craft a great application.
      Don't be discouraged at all, there are so many things to do to make your application much better!!! It really is a holistic application and as long as you reach the minimums, anything is possible from there. Again, AMA either here or on my instagram page!!!
    • By mly3025
      Hi everyone. I am currently applying this cycle with these stats.
      According to my calculations:
      cGPA = 3.12
      sGPA = 3.23
      These grades are the combined total of all my classes, including undergraduate (cGPA 2.88 and sGPA 2.96). I took post-bac classes (53 credits) and received A's in all them, which include major pre reqs required by most PA schools. For one year, I worked full time while taking courses. 
      GRE = 309 total. 154 Quant (55th percentile) 155 Verbal (69th percentile) and 5.0 writing (93rd percentile) 
      Total PCE ~ 4057 hours for about 2 years of working full time + per diem. I am continuing to work full time so this number will increase.  
      Total HCE/Volunteer  ~ 100 hours at a senior center 
      Shadowing ~ 585 hours (480 of which was during work hours where I would directly work with a PA throughout my shift) 
      Leadership role as a board member of a student association group and extra curricular's involving dance choreographer during my time as an undergraduate student. I may also be TA-ing microbology or anatomy this spring. 
      I feel strong in my letters of recommendations and am currently in the process of trimming and editing my personal statement draft. I am continuing to shadow PA's after work now that my school semester is over, but I do not think its a good idea for me to continue taking courses since it would require a bunch of other classes to bump my GPA up even higher. Besides this, what can I do to stand out more and make myself a better applicant to offset my low GPA?

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More