I know this has been addressed as a general topic, but has anyone been waitlisted at PCOM (specifically) and successfully worked your way off of it? If so, how did you do it?

I just found out that I've been waitlisted and now that I'm done licking my wounds, I've been working on my letter of intent and lining up more shadowing opportunities. I desperately want to attend but don't know how to stand out. Furthermore, they state that they do not rank or order their list. Please help!

I know this has been addressed as a general topic, but has anyone been waitlisted at PCOM (specifically) and successfully worked your way off of it? If so, how did you do it?

I just found out that I've been waitlisted and now that I'm done licking my wounds, I've been working on my letter of intent and lining up more shadowing opportunities. I desperately want to attend but don't know how to stand out. Furthermore, they state that they do not rank or order their list. Please help!

I got waitlisted for class of 2019. Any advice?

I'm currently a first year and I was waitlisted last cycle. I was one of the last interviews and put a deposit down on another school. I found out about 3 months later that I was accepted off the wait list and decided to go here instead. I didn't do in anything in terms of contacting the program, I kind of just played the waiting game! I don't think anything you do now would end up changing your chances. From my understanding they will relook at all interviewees and their applications and base it on that. So I guess my advice would be to wait it out, focus on any other upcoming interviews, and hope for the best! But definitely don't count yourself out!

• Upvote 1

Pcom PA's advise is pretty on point. I would add to understand that word on the street is that PCOM had over 3K applicants for the GA campus alone (double from last year), that is a lot of competition!

And based on a complete guess, if you have no other pending applications, I would figure out what is lacking (if anything) for next year, once the stats for the 2019 class come out (posted on PCOM's website) see how you compare (if you are at or above average then perhaps it could be something about your interview, personal statement, or letters of recommendation) and apply to more schools (dont put all your eggs in one basket type of deal). Again those are all complete guesses since I have no other info other than what you posted.

Good luck!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By aking129
      I am feeling unsure as to whether or not I will get into PA school. I have a bachelor's degree in Public Health Science. My cumulative gpa is a 3.92 and my science gpa is a 3.8 with 61 science course credits. I have 1,000 hours of patient contact currently from working as a physical therapy aide during undergrad. I am taking a gap year and working 36 hours per week as a medical assistant and also taking weekend shifts as a physical therapy aid to reach approximately 3,000 hours when I apply next year. I also have about 200 hours of other related experience through working as a medical receptionist and volunteering and have 100 hours from shadowing. I have about 500 hours of volunteer experience from a service trip for income equity, a social justice student group, volunteering with a group that works to fix low-income health disparities, an LGBTQ+ community health clinic, the National Alliance on Mental Illness, and the philanthropy committee for my sorority. I am doing research with a nearby medical school and will have about 300 hours of research experience at the time I apply (this is a volunteer position). I was a teaching assistant for anatomy and physiology II for two years. I served as the president of a student organization and the vice president of the same organization, a program lead for a social justice organization, and I was the chair of philanthropy for my sorority. Other extracurricular involvements included Students Engaged in Public Health,  Sigma Kappa Sorority, Maryland Public Interest Research Group, Maryland Leadership Education and Development, and Ballet Company M. I am mostly concerned that I have not taken enough science credits and do not have enough patient contact. Are there other things I should work on to strengthen my profile? Should I take more science classes? Should I consider a master's in a science field? I studied public health because I am truly passionate about approaching patient care from this perspective and want to work in health administration health policy in addition to patient care, and I plan to explain this in my personal statement.
    • By Melissa10490
      Hi Everyone,
      I am applying to PA schools this year. Here are some statistics about me
      3.0-3.1 Science GPA
      3.5 Cumulative GPA
      About 700 Volunteer Hours
      60 Shadowing hours of PA (3 different specialities)
      12 Hours of Shadowing a NP
      2,500 Direct Patient Care Experience as a CNA
      1st generation student (first to go to college)
      Honors student, along with being a peer mentor.
      How many schools do you think I should apply to?
      Sadly, my science GPA is low because I received a C+ in genetics, and a D in ochem, now retaking Ochem and more than likely will receive anything in the C Range.
      All my other pre-req's are all A's and Maybe 1 B or 2.
      Attended Pre-PA conference.
      Have not taken the GRE yet, but severely worried.
      Input? If you have been participating in cycles, please include some of your stats and the outcomes.
      THANKS EVERYONE.

• By jessica100
      Hey guys! I am currently a Nutrition Science major in undergrad and I am required to take organic chemistry II to graduate. I will probably end up with a C because the class is terrible and I don't understand anything. Is it worth retaking over the summer before applying to PA schools even though the programs that I am interested in do not require organic chemistry II as a prerequisite? I have a 3.7 GPA and my science GPA is a 3.5. 
    • By timesfive
      I took Organic chemistry last semester and got a C-, so now my science GPA is ruined.
      Are there any schools that don't require Ochem as a pre-req?
    • By liliixoxo
      Hi everyone, 
      I'm looking for someone to help me with my personal statement. I have something of a rough draft written. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More